• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advise (Pop's may have lock jaw)

edmlfc1

5 Year Member
Is it possible for an apisto to get lock jaw? I have an Apistogramma cacatuoides (male), I have had him now for about 9 months. I just moved him to a 90 gallon tank. After moving him I lost him for a few days. After about 5 days he came out of hiding. Now it seems that he is trying to eat but cannot open his mouth. I was wondering if it is possible for them to get lock jaw. My parm's are: ammo 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, Ph 6.4. I feed him Hikari Cichlid flakes and NLS cichlid forumla (small pellets).

Tank mates: 6 Koi angelfish, 6 apisto fry, 1 Pair German Blue Rams, Mom & Pops (Apistogramma cacatuoides) and 6 fry from Mom & Pops last spawn (Apistogramma cacatuoides)
I have not seen any agression in the tank. I have had it up for about 2 weeks. I just combined 3 tanks and used the same canister that was on the larger of the 3 tanks. I also moved all the substrate and decor to the larger tank. This gave me an instant cycle. I have not shown any spikes in param's after moving.
Any advise would help. Thanks to all who respond.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
We usually see apistos with their jaws locked open, but I guess it can happen the other way. This usually occurs when the jaws are damaged in some way. Sadly, most people find that there is nothing that can cure this problem. If he cannot eat and looks like he is wasting away, the best thing is to humanely euthanize the fish. I usually put them in a cup of water and then put them in the freezer. Once the lights go out, the fish goes to sleep and will die from the cold without knowing it is happening.

edmlfc1

5 Year Member
Today it looks like he had his mouth open just a bit. I think he ate a little. It looked like he sucked in a flake and was chewing a little. I don't know what happened to him or why he's acting weird. But yesterday I was watching him and he came out of hiding and was all over the bottom of the tank. This morning after he ate a bite or two he went back into hiding. I don't want to put him down just yet. I will keep an eye on him and make sure he is eating before I do anything. I might move him back into the 28 gallon to keep a better eye on him. Thanks for your help.

Btw: I forgot to metion that his color looks a little grey. His body color, not his fins. Any idea about that?

fishgeek

clove oil would be more humane than just freezing/hypothermia... well thats the theory i guess we cant ask the fish

the grey body colour is a non specific "i'm not feeling well" sign by the fish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….