• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Multiple harems of Cacatuoides in the same tank?

fishscale

5 Year Member
I am taking down my 55 in August and setting up a 90. I am currently planning out the stock list. It will be a very heavily planted community tank with mostly schooling fish. I wanted to add a trio of cacatuoides to my 55, but decided to wait until I set up the 90. The stock list is not set, except for 10 diamond tetras and 12 otos. I am thinking:

large school of cardinals (25-30)
medium school of harlequins or rummy nose (12-15)

Then, as my show fish, I would like to put some triple red cacs in. I really like the male coloration, but I know they are fairly territorial. Would it be possible to put 2 trios in a 90g?

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,

If you wish to breed the cacs, then any terta is an expert fry eater and hunter, so just be aware of this. I have in my 100g tank 2males and 5females and they get on fine. As you stated have enough plants, caves and hiding spots. Sound like your set up will be nice
cheers jk :biggrin:

beleg

5 Year Member
That tank is big enough to hold the fish. Just make sure you have more than enough hiding spaces.Stacked coconut shells, clay plant pots and plants etc. do very well if you landscape the tank not according to the plants liking but to create territories for the cacas.

I also think stay away form cardinal/neon/harlequin tetras if you can, maybe hatchet ones are ok. I have first hand experience with bentosis , the agassizi females keep them at bay but not cardinals/neons. Pencil fish is recommended by most experts in this forum.

Have fun with your tank ;)

fishscale

5 Year Member
It would be nice if they bred, but I don't really have any intentions on raising fry. If it happens and some survive, great, but I just want a show tank. If I only had room for more tanks :rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….