• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help!!!! Please!!!!

Gum Drops

5 Year Member
Okay i'm new to the dwarf world of cichlids. Last week i just purchased two kribs. Today i just purchased two fish that i have no idea what they are. I looked up some pics on the internet and they have the exact same body and fins as the Mikrogeophagus altispinosa. Thing is the body has black horizontal bars and the fish is like a cream color with blue specks under the eyes. All fins have a reddish tint to them. They were thrown in the tank with firemouths but they had no name. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated in identifying these fish.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the Forum...

I like a mystery. Let's start with size. How big are these mystery fish. The color you describe with the lateral line bar (bars?... more than one on each side?) resembles many juvenile cichlids. The blue spangles under the eyes are a clue that suggests Geophagine, Bujurquina or Acara types. The body shape you describe would puch it towards Geophagine. A picture woudl help a lot.

Gum Drops

5 Year Member
They are about 3cm in length. They have 7 black bars including the one running through their eye. I actually took a pic with my camcorder but the stupid software that came with it wouldnt let me download it to my pc. :mad: Anyways i would take one with my phone but it would probably suck.:) I'll try to find those pics you named and compare them. Thank you for your help so far!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK... seven vertical bars? You original description said horizontal bars. One of the mars is an eye stripe. Still sounds like juvenile colors to me. Is the fish very aggressive?

Gum Drops

5 Year Member
Finally got a pic!!

Finally!! now the fish that i"m asking about is posted here as my avatar, or you can click on my name and it is posted in my profile as well. So any guesses on the name of this fish????
DSC00028.jpg

Gum Drops

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your help! I can rest at ease now and read up on these bolivian rams.:) I assume these will get more colorful as they get older?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….