• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarfs for tank with shrimp.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have set up a planted tank in January (180 litres, 40 UK gallons) and the idea was to keep a pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus in there along with shoaling fish and a few Otos. The Otos and the shoal of Spotted Blueyes (Pseudomugil gertrudae) are already established, but I was given some shrimp (a species of rainbow shrimp) that are now in there and breeding and I know the Pelvics will polish off all the shrimp pretty quickly and as the Pelvics are breeding in their current home I'll probably leave them there.

SO what I need are some suggestions for small dwarfs that, while they may polish off the odd baby, won't eat adults too ravenously! I was thinking of sticking some Taenicara candida in there, but they seem to be rather aggressive or maybe some Crenicara? Would some smaller APistogramma work ok? If so any suggestions?

Cheers.
Ed.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
And here's a picture for a better idea of the setting.

IMG_0018.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are probably a lot of dwarf cichlids that will not bother adult shrimp, but baby shrimp are likely fair game for any fish. I keep some Dicrossus filamentosus with tiger shrimp adults... no problem.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cheers Ted. Anyone else keeping other dwarfs with shrimp or ahve done in the past? I'm sure the Pelvics would polish off too many of the the shrimp and as I'm finally breeding them successfully and not killing them I don't want to lose them!!!

I'm thinking of getting some N.transvestitus but putting them in another tank as I'm sure they'll be as voracious shrimp eaters as the Pelvics!

Is anyone keeping Apisto species with shrimp as I think they might survive with them as they're not as aggressive feeders IME as the westies?

fishgeek

trifasciata

though i think most of my apisto's do eat shrimp these, in an over planted tank seem to be the slowest

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The two apistos that come to mind that probably won't feed on small shrimp would be A. wapisana (Balzfleck) because they, too, are tiny and A. angayuara, which based on stomach content alalysis show that they are microplankton feeders. The next question is where to find these 2 species.

DH247

5 Year Member
I have seen my aggies and trifasciata go through tigers, and even larger japonica! I also watched my group of D. Filamentosus go through a group of adult cherry shrimps.... If it swims, it seems it's fair game. I've had the most success with large Japonica shrimps... However, I've never been able to provide the lush cover and environment that you've got in that tank! I'm envious!!

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
The two apistos that come to mind that probably won't feed on small shrimp would be A. wapisana (Balzfleck) because they, too, are tiny and A. angayuara, which based on stomach content alalysis show that they are microplankton feeders. The next question is where to find these 2 species.

Well I'm up for trying either of those if anyone in Europe can suggest where to find them!!!

I have got two A.eremnopyge males in a 2ft tank and was thinking of trying those and getting some more females. They don't seem that active when feeding to me. What do you all reckon?

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have seen my aggies and trifasciata go through tigers, and even larger japonica! I also watched my group of D. Filamentosus go through a group of adult cherry shrimps.... If it swims, it seems it's fair game. I've had the most success with large Japonica shrimps... However, I've never been able to provide the lush cover and environment that you've got in that tank! I'm envious!!

Doesn't sound too promising, but thanks very much for the comments on the tank. It's got just over 2wpg, 30ppm CO2, Aquasoil substrate at the back and both macro and micro fertilisation to get the lush growth. I've got to trim the moss back from all the branches tomorrow as it is each strand is over 2" long now and shading the Glossostigma carpet! I also can't see the Anubias grove planted on the left side as the Echinodorus tenellus has grown so huge so most of that's coming out too!

I have seen a seller in the UK offering Biotecus sp.'Tapajos' and was wondering about rying a group of those. Any advice with them and shrimps anyone???

Microman

5 Year Member
Well Ed the Biotoecus sp Tapajos i have are certainly not large enough to predate upon adult Cherry/ Crystal Red etc etc
I have kept Biotoecus for a few years now and i dont think they are anywhere near as agressive as Apisto species.
Im sure they would be fine....
Mark...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. eremnopyge is definitely not a good choice. Aquatic crustaceans are a large part of their diet in the wild, along with insect larvae. Biotoecus will eat baby shrimp and newly molted adults if they can find them. The old addage holds true with these types of fish: if it fits in their mouth, it will.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. eremnopyge is definitely not a good choice. Aquatic crustaceans are a large part of their diet in the wild, along with insect larvae. Biotoecus will eat baby shrimp and newly molted adults if they can find them. The old addage holds true with these types of fish: if it fits in their mouth, it will.

Ah! Well as long as the adult shrimp don't get eaten I don't mind if some babies get polished off; they may even help with getting the adults into breeding condition! :biggrin: Sounds like the A.eremnopyge might be best in another tank though.

fishgeek

the pattern i see when i have too many shrimps and try them in other tanks is

things are generally fine fro some time, the shrimp are wary and stay hidden more
the shrimp come out and are more visible with time, often actually see them face to face with fish

someone works out that the shrimp are food and numbers very rapidly decline, what triggers that recognition of shrimp as food? i dont know? sick shrimp? small shrimp? hungry fish?

once they get the taste they do go through them quickly

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Does that even include the adult shrimp or do they survive? I was hoping by putting something with a small enough mouth in that the adults would make it at least and hopefully some babies would survive in the mass of plants at the back.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well Ed the Biotoecus sp Tapajos i have are certainly not large enough to predate upon adult Cherry/ Crystal Red etc etc
I have kept Biotoecus for a few years now and i dont think they are anywhere near as agressive as Apisto species.
Im sure they would be fine....
Mark...

Did you get my e-mail Mark? Would love to get the fish over the Easter Holidays if that's possible? Would calling be better?

Cheers,
Ed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….