• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes of Lower Guinea, West-Central Africa

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I had the chance to thumb through the manuscript for that book a couple years ago. It will be an excellent research resource, and something that the serious west African ichthyophile will probably want, but I would not compare it to Anton Lamboj's book. They are aimed at different audiences. The images in the Stiassny book will be mostly pictures of preserved specimens and line drawings. The range maps will be very helpful, as will the habitat descriptions. The same authors have been working on a similar project for the Congo region.

firetank

5 Year Member
i was hoping it would be more of a source of info on preparing a more realistic biotope style setup; I'm presuming it'll be helpful in thiis area???

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
It could help a littel be describing the water chemistry and describing the habitats, and you might be able to deduce what other species are living together. What you are not gong to get is a book that gives you a specific list of fish, plants and substrates present in the backwater eddies of the Cross River.

Randall

5 Year Member
Stiassny et al., 2007

Hi guys,

Stiassny et al., 2007, is essentially a field guide inclusive of taxonomic keys. It is not intended as a hobbyist resource for simulating a natural environment for one's fishes.

Randall Kohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….