• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dicrossus maculatus

leeruisheng

5 Year Member
Some photos to share.

CIMG4484.jpg

CIMG4487.jpg

DH247

5 Year Member
Wonderful fish! I am currently working with some Filamentosus juvies. What has your experience been with these guys? How aggressive do they get once they are mature? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
They´re one of the less aggressive dwarves I´ve ever had. You´ve to consider that the list of dwarves that I have (or had) is this:
A. borelli
A. trifasciata
A. commbrae
A. cacatuoides
A. panduro
A. eremnopyge
A. cf. eunotus
A. sp. "masked"
A. sp. "Papagei"
A. agassizzi
A. bitaeniata
A. norberti
A. nijsseni
D. filamentosus
D. maculatus
C. punctulata
L. dorsigera
M. ramirezzi
M. altispinosus

DH247

5 Year Member
Thanks! That's quite a list... So far I've kept
A. Agassizzi (Double Red)
A. Trifasciata - successfully bred
A. Melgar

I'm looking to expand my comfort zones by trying to breed the Filamentosus once they are of age. Currently I've been able to keep my pH stable at around 5.4. So time will tell I guess.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Beautiful fish. I just got 6 a few days ago. One died and a friend wants what I have left. I believe the remaining five are all males. I have never kept these fish before and the photos I have found were poor or not lables as far as sexing goes.

Do your photos show a male and female? How can I distinguish the sexes Leeruisheng?

thanks

g

fishgeek

a bit off topic , is that fissidens in the background?

would you explain growing requirements or if none specifically,

thanks andrew

leeruisheng

5 Year Member
Wonderful fish! I am currently working with some Filamentosus juvies. What has your experience been with these guys? How aggressive do they get once they are mature? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There are other tank mates like yamato shrimps and C. hastatus but they were left undisturbed. Ocassionally the male chases the female ferociously. I'm not sure about their temperament in a group of same species because I just have only a pair. Otherwise easy fish to keep. Have yet to breed them.

Beautiful fish. I just got 6 a few days ago. One died and a friend wants what I have left. I believe the remaining five are all males. I have never kept these fish before and the photos I have found were poor or not lables as far as sexing goes.

Do your photos show a male and female? How can I distinguish the sexes Leeruisheng?

thanks

g

You can spot the female in the second photo. She's at the top. Female generally has a much shorter yellow coloured ventrals. Hues of red and blue are missing in the female. And smaller than the male.

a bit off topic , is that fissidens in the background?

would you explain growing requirements or if none specifically,

thanks andrew

Yes. They're US fissiden. They are growing steady in a low tech setup. pH 6.8, temp 26 degrees, 2 X 15W PL. Monthly water change without adding any fertilizer.

georgedv

5 Year Member
At this time all fish have their basic pattern, silver, blue, gray hues and black. Also their dorsal fin is rounded...maybe they are all females. No hint of yellow or red that your males shows.

My pH is around 6.8 and soft. Maybe I need to lower the pH for them to get their colors? Also I have had them for one week...so they might not have settled in?

Who knows...if anyone can direct me to other photos showing M/F I might make some sense.

thanks

g

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….