• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Disease in my apisto please help

davex776

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I'm reposting here from the apisto section (http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=7154) as suggested by another member.

Essentially a few days ago I noticed that my A. cacatuioides male was changing color to a dark gray. He was hiding in his cave a lot, still eating, but there was some thin stringy fecal material hanging from him for a day or two. More recently, he has become much worse - I think his stomach area is slightly bulging and he is having a hard time keeping upright and stays in his cave all the time.

I don't have a QT tank so I can't do that unfortunately. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

fishgeek

darkening is a non specific ill fish response

the pale stringy faeces indicated mucosal irritation, of the gut lining, and mucous production in response, though high fat in stool can lead to similar description and floating of faeces

the more commonly suggested reasons for this without accurate diagnosis by faecal microscopy are
  1. protozoa - like spironucleus or hexamita
  2. nematodes, cestodes and other intestinal worms
  3. coccidians
  4. and bacteria or viral infection least commonly

treatment could be aimed at oral administration of metronidazol medicated food(use the search function there should be heaps of information about even gu loading daphnia as a carrier), or dosing in water at 25mgs/l, repeat every 48hrs for 3 dose's, for protozoa
levamisol - 1-2mgs/l, or any other benzimidazol for nematodes... depending on your location and medication availablilty
praziquantel - 2-10mgs/l, for cestodes

hope that is off some help
andrew

davex776

5 Year Member
Thank you for the advice Andrew. Unfortunately his condition had gotten much worse, ultimately with me finding him attached to the filter intake this morning. Therefore I felt the only option was euthanasia. In future I'll know to seek help much sooner, whenever a fish changes color like that.

Thank you again,
Dave

georgedv

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear you lost your apisto. I just wanted to make a suggestion. You can get a plastic container, like tapperware, and use that for treatments. Just add water and an airstone. That is what I do and it helps when space is limited.

g

amazon dee

5 Year Member
amazon dee

Hi there,
I recently lost my cacca too. Not to the same disease as you but to a disease that causes patches on the body.
Caccas always like their privacy and hide a lot, but are very habitual. i knew mine wasnt well as he changed his usual display at feed time and didnt come out first up for brine schimp. By the time I found out what to do it was too late.
My first appistogrammas were maccasteri and they were very secretive and shy but the pair were inseperable. When one fell sick and died I belive its mate actually pined for its partner. Then several months later still remained in recluse except for a fleeting glance at mealtime. She died when I let my son over fed the fish whilst I was away on holiday. He didnt think I gave my fish enough so doubled the food.
I simply love the species as there is always a different charcter to each breed.
I am going to try again and this time add agazzi.
Dee:)

amazon dee

5 Year Member
amazon dee near wipeout

Hi,
I just tackled a huge problem. Fish died suddenly with no warning signs except 30minutes before death my fish just gasps and cant breath.
Tried everything then was told about Premifix. Used it for a week and saved all the rest bar one.
You should try it next time it covers all bacteria / fungi infections.
I know i got the disease from a shop as the newly entered fish started dying first within 2 days i had lost 2 aggazi, 2 ram, 2 rummys and 4 cardinals.
Boy ! it hit fast. Lost my largest ram 4 days into treatment.
I will be quarenteeing all new fish in future.
Glad to be back on board.
Getting new stock soon.
One aggazi I saved is a little beauty. She/ he has the most friendly of characters just about face to face speaks to you.
Anyone else got aggazi out there that can tell me how to choose the sex of this one. It is small but has a goldy yellow colour through her grey markings. Dee

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I know i got the disease from a shop as the newly entered fish started dying first ...

I will be quarenteeing all new fish in future.

Truer words can't be said. I wish every aquarium hobbyist would read & learn.

A SMALL QUARANTINE TANK IS THE CHEAPEST INSURANCE YOUR FISH CAN HAVE!!!

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Here is an excellent article on mela and pima fix. It explains why some people have such great success and others don't. The extract only works on SOME kinds of bacteria, not all. In some cases it can lead to huge bacterial blooms and kill off all the fish.

I'm one of the ones who never experienced much success using these products.
Cathy
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marin...-melafix-pimafix-how-they-work-dont-work.html

daddySEAL

5 Year Member
Cathy G,

I'd like to read that article too.....but the link doesn't seem to work any longer. If you have it, could you post it (and it's valuable info.) again for me and others, Please?
(is the article applicable to freshwater fish....since the source is a saltwater forum?)

thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….