• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gill Flukes?

beleg

5 Year Member
Got 1 male and 2 female A. trifasciata 3 days ago from a friend. Released the fish in a decorated tank at night and in the morning i observed that the male has some respiratory problems while the females look very healthy. The the right gill cover of the male is a little open and the fish breathes faster than normal. All fish have great appetite for food in fact they ate nls grow formula which i have difficulty feeding to my young fish like pigs.

I suspected gill flukes or worms.So i added Tremazol from Sera which contains 7.47 g / 100ml Praziquantel according to directions (1ml / 15l). Thats something like 150mg/l of Praziquantel in the actual tank. The treatment then advises a %80 water change after 6 hours and filtration with active carbon.

Right after i started treatment i realized that one of the females laid eggs. A few hours more and the second also laid eggs. I don't know if the eggs would be viable so i decided to do only %50 water change. I used water from established tank with similar chemical attributes and stated active carbon in the filter after 7 hours...

My questions;

Is the dosage advised by Sera ok?
The male still breathes heavily although he still has good appetite he really doesn't look very healthy. Doesn't flare and the one gill cover is still more open then other.

I guess the eggs wont hatch but is there a chance they will?

fishgeek

praziquantel dose i have is 2-10mgs/l for upto a 4 hr bath
reepat 3 times 5 days apart

prehaps you could retreat just the male in a small container if you are not happy
obviously watch water oxygenation if you believe there are respiratory issue's already , especially if jugging(or treating in a msller non filtered container)

beleg

5 Year Member
Hmm.. Did i do a mistake in calculating? 1 ml of the medicine would contain 75 mg of Praziquantel according to the label (7.47 g in 100ml). And they advice 1 ml per 15 l of water. There is a huge gap between the amounts.

This morning the male seemed unchanged. He never opens his fins but eats fine. The females are happily guarding their eggs which seems to have been fertilized, and viable for now no fungus observed...

I thought Praziquantel to be a very strong medicine but the fish tolerated it very well..

Andrew i'll try to take a pic of the fish. Actually its a little strange , One of the gill covers obviously has a problem , i wonder if it can be a problem caused by fighting another male.

beleg

5 Year Member
Ok some updates.. The male still has this gill problem but otherwise acts normal. Maybe it was really a damage from fighting other males. The eggs have hatched and the female are guarding the wigglers. They don't show much aggression against each other or to the male. Will this change once the fry are free swimming?

fishgeek

Hmm.. Did i do a mistake in calculating? 1 ml of the medicine would contain 75 mg of Praziquantel according to the label (7.47 g in 100ml). And they advice 1 ml per 15 l of water. There is a huge gap between the amounts.

75 divided by 15 gives 5 so right in the middle of the dosage range i posted

am i missing something?

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Beleg, I will separate the male from the fries, in case he is suffering from flukes.

I had the chance to breed A. trifasciata a lot of times (my country is one of their living places). My opinion is that they´re as aggresive as A. cacatuoides towards the fry.

beleg

5 Year Member
Hi,
I've been to Netherlands and my son couldn't take care of the fry while i was away. Meanwhile the females harassed him too much. So he is now in a separate tank.

I brought back a male A.trifasciata with me who will hopefully spawn with the females.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….