• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nannacara taenia

Evan

5 Year Member
I have some Nannacara teania and I was wondering if someone could help me with sexing. I have not been able to find much info on these guys. My fish are adults.

Some of them have a black lateral stripe and other have much more black on them.

Also, does anyone have any details on how the best conditions for breeding.

Here are pictures of a couple of them.

Nannacara%20taenia%203.jpg

Nannacara%20taenia%204.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not absolutely sure, but the fish in the top photo has the pointed soft dorsal fin tip of a male. The second photo looks like a female in brood/breeding dress.

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re to post

Hi My Name is Curtis I live In Dallas area and I have kept them. I just sold my stock at TCA auction last weekend. They are a very nice Nannacara and real easy to get to breed. neutral to slightly soft water with a few caves and plants and they will spawn for you females get the normal checkerboard coloring that most nannacaras get when in brood mode the males get a dark diagonal separation between the upper and lower portion of the body dark from mouth to lower anal fin and light beige with redish stripes in upper body. Live or frozen Brine shrimp baby and adult frozen blood worms and a good high protien flake worked for me to get them conditioned.

Curtis

Evan

5 Year Member
Hey Curtis,

I got mine at the HCCC auction last February so it is possible they may have come from your stock.

Thanks for the tips.

eranu

5 Year Member
The second photo is 100% female. I have 1M 2F. The adult male finnage is noticably extended compared to the females and he colours up beautifully in a flash when hes in the mood. I have so far had several spawns but each time the eggs have been eaten.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….