• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nijesseni V Panduro

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Just after any tips on picking the difference beween these two fish. I picked up a trio of nijesseni today, and noted how close they look (nijesseni in general) to panduro, so I was wondering (being as paranoid as I am) how to tell the difference?

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Young fish can be hard to separate. Mature fish are easy:

A. nijsseni: Male: low & even dorsal fin; caudal spot small & round. Female: gill cover entirely black & surrounds most of the eye; flank spot oval & extending from dorsal fin to ventral line; caudal spot round.

A. panduro: Male: at least first 6 dorsal spines separate and slightly elongated; caudsal spot large and usually lance shape (lance tip extends into the caudal fin). Female: cheek stripe varies from narrow to broad blotch at base of gill cover & touches the bottom of the eye; flank patch either wide vertical bar from dorsal fin to ventral line or as a large blotch restricted to lower half of the flanks; caudal spot (when visible) large and similar to that of the male (extends into the caudal fin).

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Since I cant see any sperated rays on the males dorsal, I'd guess nijesseni then. Here's a pic taken while floating. The shop got them in a week ago, apperently the male is much improved from then, neither of the girls have much in body marking yet, will try for some better pic later.

hmmm, look at the pic again looks like the caudual spot resembles a panduro more LOL, anyway heres the pic, will try for better

Andrew
100_3423_resize.jpg

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Ok these shots are taken after fish have been in tank almost 24 hours, fish seem very settled

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

Chromedome

5 Year Member
I would say panduro. These are two species where it's easier to tell them apart by the females than the males!

I just happen to have photos of the females of both.

First the panduro:
2000331635776281179_rs.jpg

Then the nijsseni:
2000340520991316589_rs.jpg

KenL

5 Year Member
Those are nice panduros.

The main difference for me in the females is that nijsseni females always show a black spot at the start of the tail, panduro females do not have this.

The big blotch is the middle of the body show in the pic above of nijsseni can often be completely missing, I have even seen fish with a blotch on one side, but not the other!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….