• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID please

KenL

5 Year Member
Hi All,
I bought these from a nice shop here in Scotland. They were labelled as A.bitaeniata, but they are obviously not that.

I think they are something related to A.iniridae but would like a positive ID. I promised the shop I would let them know what they are when I find out.

The pics are not great but hopefully good enough. The male is showing very distinctive markings.

Img_3280.jpg

Img_3276.jpg

Img_3274.jpg

Thanks...

DH247

5 Year Member
Pulchra maybe? Although with the banding and the caudal pattern does fit the profile of Uaupesi. Hmmm.... not sure. I'm defintely interested in what some of the experts have to say though!

zmirek

5 Year Member
Hi,

Well I do like to buy some bitaeniata as you did. They are not "something related to iniridae" they are real beautifull iniridae :)

Due to intense of colours they seems to be wild fish. Am I right?

As they were labelled as bitaeniata price for was reasonable too?

This is one of my fauvorite fish (as other sail-fin species) but I still can not get them. I do hope I will see them in my tank this year.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mirek identified them correctly - A. iniridae. The broad lateral band that extends into the caudal (no caudal spot), the male's thread-like ventral fins, the male's high sail-like dorsal fin, and dark vertical bars below the lateral band are all diagnostic of this species.

KenL

5 Year Member
Thanks for the ID, what a great find - I had A.iniridae a long time ago. I must try and get them into a breeding tank. One of my tanks sprung a leak so I need to replace it soon.

They cost £10UK for the pair :) That's about 14Euros or $20US.

KenL

5 Year Member
Are they wild fish? I would think so. The dealer got them from a wholesaler, I do not think anyone is breeding them in numbers. If they were, I would expect they would have the correct name.

Colin

5 Year Member
Hi Ken

i stay in Lanarkshire, which shops do you use in Scotland for Apistos?

where is the fair city show?

cheers
Colin

KenL

5 Year Member
This is the shop:
http://www.outsideinsideaquatics.co.uk/
I just discovered it recently on my way home from the golf club.

Sadly he has none (iniridae) left as I went in to buy some more. He does currently have a really nice pair of Agassizi but no other Apistos today.

He did say though he was expecting some nijsseni and viejita in soon.

This is a really nice shop, the quality of the fish he has is probably the best I've ever seen.

He has loads of nice cories if you are into that sort of thing. Other nice fish he had today were some excellent N.parilus and M.altisponsa.

If you are looking for fish I would highly recommend microman http://www.dwarf-cichlid.com/ My friend & I got some fish from Mark and the quality was great, as were the fish and shipping prices.

I don't go to fish auctions/shows these days - can't seem to find the time.

Cheers, KenL

Colin

5 Year Member
Hi Ken and mummymonkey, thanks for the info

I recently got some Apistos in Glasgow being sold as Apistogramma glaseri... dont want to hijack the thread but i cant seem to find anything about them. I will try and get some nice pics to post and start a new thead soon

cheers
Colin

Colin

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike,

I know it was a Peruvian shipment and it looks like a pair is forming, will try for pics later! I have the Baensch atlas 1 for cichlids but it really isn't easy to flick through and to hope to recognise fish LOL

cheers

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
The fonetics of that name reminds me two different things:

1) A. geisleri
2) Acquarium Gläser (an important German LFS).

koty

5 Year Member
.....They cost £10UK for the pair :) That's about 14Euros or $20US.

My goodness I could be rich. I have two to three active pairs and close to 90% survival of the ones that i syphon. In israel very few people are interested in apistos. I recently sold 8 9 months old fish for 5 nis (a bit more then 1$) each.
I have around 20 young, 4 months old and a 2 week spawn of 20-30 little ones.
All are 1st generation to wild caught

KenL

5 Year Member
My goodness I could be rich. I have two to three active pairs and close to 90% survival of the ones that i syphon. In israel very few people are interested in apistos. I recently sold 8 9 months old fish for 5 nis (a bit more then 1$) each.
I have around 20 young, 4 months old and a 2 week spawn of 20-30 little ones.
All are 1st generation to wild caught

Amazing the variation on prices of Apistos around the world.

Hopefully BlueBlue will spot this and tell you what they pay in Hong Kong :eek:

Troglodyte

5 Year Member
I haven't seen so many Jocks congregate in a discussion place without alcohol being served!!! You guys must be fish hardcore!:tongue:
Nice to see my fellow folks on the forum. Good luck with the apistos Ken. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….