• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Hoignei

Chris(wildcaught!)

5 Year Member
Which one of u are keeping A. Hoignei?, I haven't found very much info or pictures on this species.

A couple of years ago i had a pair of this species. The male was very impressive, very large compared to an average apisto species. If anyone have the book South American Dwarf Cichlids by Mayland and Bork, the picture on page 73 is more or less identical to the one i had.
The fish pictured in the Datz publication as A 116 looks almost the same, just that i doesn't have or show any orange areas in the caudal fin.
I never managed to breed them, because the male died rather quickly by some disease, (fish tuberculosis is my guess).

Anyway a beautiful fish, I hope i have the luck of finding this species again.

Anyone breeding them BTW?

Greg PL

5 Year Member
I had them 2 times. probably 2 different variations/species, although I can't be sure now. first time the male had the "hole in the head", the next one got "pumped", blown by the Pseudomonas punctata bacteria. I must say I screwed up, but I don't realy know what. all other fish were ok. on one case the water was hard and alcaline, and I never keep my fish in sterile tanks.
couldn't say why but this species is one of my all time favorites.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….