• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ap. Cacatuoides "Super Red"

cacatuoides

5 Year Member
Hi folks,

Pardon the poor quality pictures. This is my pair of cacatuoides which produced 3 batches of fries since october last year. thanks :biggrin:

DSC04443.jpg

Male

DSC04352.jpg

Female

DSC04553.jpg

Fry at 8weeks old

cacatuoides

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike. I've managed to pick up this fellow from a shipment from Peru, in your opinion, what may have caused the ventral fin to be red....something unique and rare in cacatuoides....:biggrin:

Its fries have also developed full coloration and a little extended caudal fin at such young age, only 8 weeks old...

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nice fish!

Mike,

Some of the offspring I'm raising that have come from stock from Ted are showing the same thing. Two of the male triple red cacatuoides fry that I kept back for myself each have a single red ventral fin. Each fish has the opposite fin of the other fish colored...one has a red left ventral while the other fish has a red left ventral.

cacatuoides,

It looks like that may be the case with your fish? Only one of the ventral fins is red and the other is "clear"?

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've managed to pick up this fellow from a shipment from Peru

I find it hard to believe that any wild A. cacatuoides ever looked like this. Wild gray morphs might have 1 or 2 black ringed orange ocelli on the tail, but no more. It has got to be a domestic strain.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
I find it hard to believe that any wild A. cacatuoides ever looked like this. Wild gray morphs might have 1 or 2 black ringed orange ocelli on the tail, but no more. It has got to be a domestic strain.
actually
never see wild cacatoo with lot of orange on tail, and as mike said most of the wild shippement i had see are greyish or blueish.

even if wild shippement always reserve me surprise , i doubt it is a wild fish

Genes

5 Year Member
I believe all cacatuoides "triple reds", "super reds" are all aquarium strain. The wild caught cacatuoides i have seen so far are all greyish or slight bluish in colouration.

cacatuoides

5 Year Member
Yes, I agree with all too....this male is definitely aquarium-bred and never a wild strain....as for why the shop said it to be from peru, may not mean that it is wild caught but maybe it is bred there?

As long as the fish turns out great is more important....:biggrin:

DSC04609.jpg

This is the most recent picture of the alpha male from my first batch of fries, now at 10 weeks old

pjvtrash

5 Year Member
Triple and 1/2 red cockatoos

<It looks like that may be the case with your fish? Only one of the ventral fins is red and the other is "clear"?>

I also have a male cacatuoides with one red ventral fin. He is the offspring of a male that I picked up at a gcca auction from "Tea", also in southern Wisconsin. I wonder how common that trait is, or if these fish have some common ancestor in that area from whom it all started.

eklikewhoa

5 Year Member
If you are in the states and have male fry later on let me know! I would like to add some of that to my bloodline!

cacatuoides

5 Year Member
If you are in the states and have male fry later on let me know! I would like to add some of that to my bloodline!

Sorry to inform you that I'm from Singapore.... :redface:
I'm sure there are good genes of cacatuoides in US too...
I'll love to share too! :biggrin:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….