• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Agassizii, German bred Gold.

Microman

5 Year Member
Although not a big fan of these Apistos on a recent trip over to Holland i purchased a pair of German bred Gold Aggies.
They have now spawned and i was wondering if they breed true.....Will the young all take on the same colouration as the parents.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Mark...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I do not know if they are the same, but I have a colony of A. cf. agassizii Madeira Gold Agassizii (see photo in Römer's Atlas p. 261). These are from fish collected by Marco Lacerda in the Rio Madeira. They have bred true gold - with a red stripe in the lower part of the caudal fin. They are a little different than the typical A. agassizii. They need more acidic water for successful breeding (< pH6), the males are polygamous, but the females let him near the fry - as well as the other females!

Microman

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike...
The Aggies i am referring to are the domestic German bred Gold form which i think are called "Flash/Wilhelm"...
Not my cup of tea but interesting none the less...
Mark.

Microman

5 Year Member
Would have been so much easier for all if i had done this earlier....
Photo of male A agassizii "flash/wilhelm"....
Mark.

000_1209.jpg

fishgeek

looks like what blue and others had been calling fire red aggie's

sort of pale body that seems to intensify the red of the fins

andrew

Microman

5 Year Member
Thats the one Andrew....I have also seen them called Fire Red. Uwe and other people i recently met in Holland call them Flash/Wilhelm.
Trade names UHH...
Will they breed true in terms of colouration?
Mark.

fishgeek

i dont know , i think maybe blue or some of the other SE asia members may have bred them?

i think he looks quite nice
how do you tell the femlaes from normal aggies?

apistobob

5 Year Member
<Will they breed true in terms of colouration?>

I think the answer to this is maybe. It will depend on the female. If the female is of the same strain it is highly likely that they will breed true. However, I have had instances where a highly developed color strain of a fish is "protected" by shipping high quality makes with females of a different strain. This will result in fish that are of a variety of colors.

I have no reason to suspect that you have anything but a pair of the same fish, in fact it is likely that they are siblings or very closely related based on breeding practices for developing aqwuarium strains. In this case you can expect them to breed true.

bob

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
As gorgeous as the male is, I think the female's even nicer! What a great colour! :biggrin:

In answer to your question about them breeding true, that will depend on not only getting two individuals of the same strain, but, as they are a man made strain, it will depend on the extent the strain is fixed, e.g. that the variability that will occur with any cross has been bred out so that all individuals produced conform to the same heritable features of the strain.

Very cheekily, I hope they do and you have some to trade soon! :wink: :biggrin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….