• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Colony display tank

inexorable

5 Year Member
I would really enjoy some input from the forum on a big project I'm planning. I have bought a 92 gal. corner aquarium - shaped like a quarter cylinder 3' radius and 2' height. I am going to furnish with driftwood and nice plants, Espe's pencil fish and zebra otos. I want to select an attractive, colorful, polygamous apisto species to display. I want to enjoy watching the political wranglings of several individuals over territory and mates. I was thinking A. sp. Papagei because of their intense coloration, but I have never kept these before. Are these the same fish Apistodave was talking about when he called A. sp. "Nanay" maniacs? I like A. trifasciata and A. nijsseni a lot also, and I may choose one of them. If you were going to stock the aforementioned aquarium for your livingroom with a single dwarf cichlid species colony, which species would you choose? Thank you in advance for your helpful feedback.

Dave

Greg PL

5 Year Member
I'd go for A. trifasciata or A. sp. "Mamore" - both quite peaceful, undemanding species. They are more blue than red, but beautiful. Be aware that apistos will not display their best all the time. Apistogrammoides pucalpaensis is another option.
N. espei is somewhat exotic, but, for me, not that attractive. I'd go with N. eques, mortenhaleri or marginatus.

Corner tanks need more attention while planning hiding places for apistos. Long tank is easier to divide into teritories for individuals. That's why I would suggest the smaller, more peaceful species.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sounds like it will be a nice display. Of the fish you mentioned the one I would NOT go with is A. nijsenni, which (IME) is not polygamous. If you ae looking for the new and rare, then the other species you mentioned would be fine. Of the easier to obtain varieties, you could create a great looking group with aggies or cactuoides. You could even use different vairieties within the species for color diversity in the tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….