• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L. dorsigera or curviceps?

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
Hi - I have a group of 4 juvenile Laetacaras in my 33 gallon tank. They were sold as curviceps, but I'm doubtful and wonder if they're dorsigera. Right now, they're about 1.5" or so long. Here are links to a few pics (sorry they're not better, but my camera is a point and shoot with no macro/micro mode):

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/Lcurviceps.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/Lcurviceps2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/Lcurviceps3.jpg

Any guesses? Or, do I just need to wait?

Edit: Pictures were taken when eating which tends to darken up the colors quite a bit.

Thanks,

Eric

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
Do dorsigera show blue on their sides? They're starting to get some blue on the flanks that looks more curvicepsish than dorsigeraish. I'm going to wait another month or so and then post a pic. However, I was curious about the blue and seem to recall reading somewhere of a curviceps variety with some red on the belly that were not dorsigera...does that ring any bells?

Thanks,

Eric

STOKER

5 Year Member
Laetacara curviceps

L. curviceps has a body that is roundish and distinctly compressed, in comparison to other species of the genus its body is somewhat more slender and elongated, and has a more pointed head. It has a lateral band that extends the entire length of its body and onto the base of the caudal fin, which distinguishes it from similar species. Sexing can only be distinguished in adults. Males grow slightly larger and develop longer ventral fins. Females are slightly smaller and usually have a significantly larger spot on the base of their dorsal fin, and have a slightly stouter shape, with a more rounded belly.
L. curviceps is found in varied water types, but fares better in slightly acidic water.
L. curviceps is an open spawner and usually establishes a permanent pair bond. The eggs are attached to a solid surface and tended by both parents. Depending on water temperature, the larvae hatch 40 to 60 hours post spawning. The parents often chew the larvae from the eggshells and place them directly into a previously excavated sand pit. Larvae development is approximately ten days, during which the larvae are frequently relocated by the parents. Brood care can last up to two and a half months.
Male adult size - 8cm
Female adult size - 6cm
Waters pH - 6.5 to 6.9
Hardness - 1 to 3 dGH
Temperature - 20 to 30 Degrees

Laetacara dorsigera

L. dorsigera has a roundish body, that is distinctly laterally compressed in comparison to other species, its body is somewhat stouter and fuller, with a blunt head. It has a lateral band that starts at the rear edge of the eye and ends at the midbody, from the midbody to the caudal peduncle, it is marked with at least five characteristical, broad, vertical bands, it also has a distinct stripe between the eyes and there is often an intensely pigmented spot in the dorsal fin. Sexing can only be distinguished in adults. Males grow slightly larger than females and usually develop distinctly longer ventral fins. Females usually have a significantly larger spot on their dorsal fin and a more rounded belly, which is a more intense red than that of males.
L. dorsigera is an open spawner that usually establishes a permanent pair bond. The eggs are attached to a solid surface and cared for by both parents, and by this time, the female usually has devolved her intense black and red brood care colouration. Depending on water temperature, the larvae hatch after 40 to 60 hours, and the parents often chew the eggs shells and place them into a previously excavated pit in the sand. Larvae development takes about ten days, and during this time the larvae are frequently relocated. Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp are a good initial food.
Brood care can last for up to two and a half months.
Male adult size - 8cm
Female adult size - 6cm
Waters pH - 6.5 to 6.9
Hardness - 1 to 3 dGH
Temperature - 20 to 30 Degrees

The part about Laetacara dorsigera states that they have 5 bars on the rear half of the body and your pics show this .

Mike :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….