• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biotoecus

element

5 Year Member
just got 6 of these please excuse the poor photos these are still shy.
34eomd1.jpg

34641nn.jpg

wish me luck!
-Jason

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Their sensitivity is way overblown, if you ask me. So long as they're not too far gone when you get them and you keep water quality up, they're no different from any other cichlid.

peterK

5 Year Member
Wow beautiful fish! Love them!
Are they B. opercularis or B. dicentrarchus? I think those first, but I'm not sure:biggrin:

Piotr >>>

sciaccaj20

5 Year Member
Great looking fish, best of luck with them!!!

What kind of leaves do you have in there, and can you let me know the benefits of them. I'm pretty new to dwarf cichlids, so any advise you can give would be great. Thanks in advance.

element

5 Year Member
Their sensitivity is way overblown, if you ask me. So long as they're not too far gone when you get them and you keep water quality up, they're no different from any other cichlid.

they came in great shape so hopefully i'll have no problems!
-Jason

element

5 Year Member
Wow beautiful fish! Love them!
Are they B. opercularis or B. dicentrarchus? I think those first, but I'm not sure:biggrin:

Piotr >>>

unsure which species they truly are came to me as opercularis but that means little they could be the other.
-Jason

element

5 Year Member
Great looking fish, best of luck with them!!!

What kind of leaves do you have in there, and can you let me know the benefits of them. I'm pretty new to dwarf cichlids, so any advise you can give would be great. Thanks in advance.

Thanks and welcome to the highly addictive world of apistogramma!! the leaves are oak . they help acicify the water by adding benificial humic acid. they also encourage the growth of tiny organisms that baby dwarfs love! in addition they provide shelter and breeding caves. so as you can see these leaves are quite helpful in keeping and breeding , and they're FREE!!:biggrin:
-Jason

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It has 3 anal spines, indicating it is an A. opercularis form. Body profile seems to be that of A. opercularis, instead of A. cf. opercularis. Do you know where they came from?

peterK

5 Year Member
believe they are from rio negro .
Hmmm... as far as I know, they both come from the same area.
By the way, Is B. dicentrarchus more rarely imported species than Opercularis?

Greetings,
Piotr

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
B. dicentrarchus is found only in the Orinoco. The upper Rio Negro has B. cf. opercularis. B. opercularis is found in the lower Rio Negro & many localities in the middle Amazon Basin. B. dicentrarchus is almost never imported as a species except by hobbyist collectors. BTW the photo of "B. dicentrarchus" in Römer's Atlas is actually A. cf. opercularis.

peterK

5 Year Member
B. dicentrarchus is found only in the Orinoco. The upper Rio Negro has B. cf. opercularis. B. opercularis is found in the lower Rio Negro & many localities in the middle Amazon Basin. B. dicentrarchus is almost never imported as a species except by hobbyist collectors. BTW the photo of "B. dicentrarchus" in Römer's Atlas is actually A. cf. opercularis.
Good to know, Mike. Thanks.

Greetings,
Piotr

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….