• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N. adoketa: Babies!!

blueblue

5 Year Member
Finally, i have succeeded!! I just separated the hatched fry from
the mother fish, the just-hatched babies still have the egg york with
them and the tail is developing :)

Dec 2, 2006: A new spawn
2006dec02_165.jpg

Dec 5, 2006: Mother with babies
2006dec05_214.jpg

Separated Babies
2006dec05bb_183.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Congrats blueblue:cool:

It's very nice to see so beautiful fish have spawned in your tank...
More pics, please:biggrin: :wink:

Greetings,
Piotr

element

5 Year Member
Awesome! if they have as many young as taenia , well, what a valuable spawn that would be.
congrats.
-Jason

blueblue

5 Year Member
Congrats blueblue:cool:

It's very nice to see so beautiful fish have spawned in your tank...
More pics, please:biggrin: :wink:

Greetings,
Piotr

Thanks Piotr, will update the photos. In order to keep more fry,
i have separated the fry from the parents, will keep a close eye on
them and this spawn becomes a very nice Christmas Gift to myself
(of course, i am looking forward to Romer's Cichlid Atlas II, too) :)

blueblue

5 Year Member
Awesome! if they have as many young as taenia , well, what a valuable spawn that would be.
congrats.
-Jason

Thanks element (Jason). In fact, i was quite surprised when I looked at the number of babies that were hatched!! It's probably over 100!!! Of course, i am not sure if many could successfully grow up but the number is really amazing :)

By the way, i nearly forget to thank many friends here,
especially Mike and Microman (Mark). Without their kind tips, i don't think
i can succeed as i have failed so many times for many months...

Chris(wildcaught!)

5 Year Member
Congratulations, very nice to see offspring of this species. I also think that i would be interesting to know more about water parameters. What tank size did u have?

Regards / Chris

Microman

5 Year Member
Well done Blue,
I have just had free swimming fry also but did not move them from the parents fast enough and they were eaten by the male.
Looks like your new UV could have done the trick this time.The info gained from Uwe and Ray seems to have worked wonders.
Mark...

blueblue

5 Year Member
Congratulations, very nice to see offspring of this species. I also think that i would be interesting to know more about water parameters. What tank size did u have?

Regards / Chris

Thanks much Chris. The tank is 40 inches long and 18 inches wide, the volume of water is usually around 200 liters depending on the water level.
It is a bare tank. :)

blueblue

5 Year Member
Well done Blue,
I have just had free swimming fry also but did not move them from the parents fast enough and they were eaten by the male.
Looks like your new UV could have done the trick this time.The info gained from Uwe and Ray seems to have worked wonders.
Mark...

Thanks Mark. Sorry to heard of the bad news that the parents ate the fry... but i am sure you will succeed next time. Yes, the UV device has done a great trick this time... :)

cacatuoides

5 Year Member
You have water running through UV? How does it induce your fish to spawn? I would like to learn more about it....thanks :biggrin:

Milk

5 Year Member
WOW.....Congrat BlueBlue!!!!Finally acheived what you have wanted!!!Well done....It's a fine looking brood and the parent(based on the picture looks stunning....).We never had such fine fishes over here...(Ready to take orders BlueBlue???:biggrin: :biggrin: )

You have water running through UV? How does it induce your fish to spawn? I would like to learn more about it....thanks :biggrin:

Hummm.....I equally interested to know how does an UV unit works to induce spawning and will be glad to learn more about it....Spawnung N.Adoketa will be next on my list!!!!(If i managed to get my fish/Apisto room up & running...)

Regards
Dimas

blueblue

5 Year Member

Yes, i have a UV sterilizer (by Coral Life) connected to the output of my Eheim Prof. II external filter. It helps to kill bacteria in water which significantly helps the hatching of eggs... in my case, it is crucial :biggrin:

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Milk.

Good to learn that you like adoketa and it's probably a challenging species that you should not miss.

For the use of UV, i have mentioned above and it's really useful. Of course, we have to make sure the UV light's power is enough... :)

WOW.....Congrat BlueBlue!!!!Finally acheived what you have wanted!!!Well done....It's a fine looking brood and the parent(based on the picture looks stunning....).We never had such fine fishes over here...(Ready to take orders BlueBlue???:biggrin: :biggrin: )

Hummm.....I equally interested to know how does an UV unit works to induce spawning and will be glad to learn more about it....Spawnung N.Adoketa will be next on my list!!!!(If i managed to get my fish/Apisto room up & running...)

Regards
Dimas

cacatuoides

5 Year Member
Do you use UV for all your tanks to induce spawning? Another question is how do you lower the ph for breeding of this unique species? :biggrin:

I've always enjoyed your pictures of collection of dwarf cichlids!!!

blueblue

5 Year Member
Do you use UV for all your tanks to induce spawning? Another question is how do you lower the ph for breeding of this unique species? :biggrin:

I've always enjoyed your pictures of collection of dwarf cichlids!!!

Thanks. :)
1. Well, this UV thing is actually new to me and i bought it JUST for the adoketa's tank... and luckily, it works!! :)
2. For lowering pH: I am quite fortunate because the tap water in the district i am living in Hong Kong is soft and neutral. I only need a few tricks to lower the water's pH further. For instance, i mainly use Sera's pH down and "Black Water" for quick lowering of pH. Moreover, i also use peat moss and ADA aqua-soil in some tanks to provide a stable, very soft and acidic water environment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….