• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Id' please

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Most of the LFS in Edmonton really suck when it comes to names and Id's.
These are called German Rams where I purchased them OMG. I'm pretty sure that they're some sort of Aequidens or possibly laetacara but after that...

aequidens031a.jpg

aequidens019a.jpg

It is hard to get good photos of this one as it seems quite shy, and the angels keep getting in the way. But I will keep trying.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Better photo

I finally got a good pic of the male. Thank goodness for digital cameras, it took about 40 attempts to get a good photo of him.:biggrin:

aequidensmale.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This isn't my a group that I'm very experienced with, but it looks like it belongs to the "Aequiden" pulchra complex, possibly "A" coeruleopunctatus.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Ae. Coeruleopunctatus

Mike the Ae. Coeruleopunctatus that I could find pics of all had blue tips on there dorsals. It's very difficult due to the color behind him, but the male that I have has red or dark orange on the tips of his dorsal anal and caudal fins. Does this help? possibly Ae. Potaroensis?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Does it have an orange margin all around the caudal fin? If so, it might very well be a small "A." sp. Orangesaum/Orange Seam - a member of the "A." rivulatus-group & the most commonly sold "Green Terror". If it is this species, the name is quite appropriate & they get BIG!

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Orange margin

No he only has a real margin on his dorsal, his anal and caudal just have a little reddish orange on the tips. He's in with 7 Angels and 2 small Kribs as well as the female, and he only shows agression to her.

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Most likely, just an "Aequidens" pulcher. This species is often mislabelled as A. rivulatus and vice-versa, especially as juveniles. As pointed out, rivulatus has a red outline to the entire tail while pulcher shows red only at the top (and sometimes, the bottom) corner.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Ae. Pulcher

I was in at Big Als today an they had some that were a color variation of Blue Acaras there that looked the same as mine. Or atleast i'm pretty sure of it any ways so you are most likely correct. Thanks guys for your help.:biggrin:
I went in to the city to look at damaged aquariums that were being offered to our Aquarium Club members for a phenominal deal. And what they say is true "Tanks breed faster then fish." HEH heh. Picked up a 75g tankwith a broken end, and 2 Golden Rams.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Gone

These guys took out one of my Bolivians, so I gave them away a few days ago to a friend who has a tank with Red Devils and Green Terrors. He says they are doing exceptionaly well and are holding their own almost dominating the tank. He is really happy with them. He also has a Piranha tank. His philosophy is if a fish gets to be too much trouble they can spend some time with the Piranha, which are about 5" long.

chromis

5 Year Member
It might be a long shot but your fish looks like a South American mouthbrooding dwarf called Tahuantinsuyoa macantzatza.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Thanx

They do look a lot like Tahuantinsuyoa macantzatza. They were vexing me as I could find nothing other than Blue Acaras that look similar but the color was off.

lab

5 Year Member
They are not Tahuantinsuyoa macantzatza. The overall body shape is wrong, the metallic markings on the cheek don't fit and the supraorbital stripe is quite wrong also. On T. macantzatza the stripe is shifted towards the back of the fish.

"A." pulcher or "A." coeruleopunctatus (probably the last) is also my best guess.

Lars

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Thanx

Thanx Lars. I guess that it is not that important to id them anymore as my friend has them now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….