• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID - cacatuoides female?

javoski

5 Year Member
Hi ;-)

Just arrived by mail. Ordered as a female.
What do u think?

caca_doubt1.jpg

caca_doubt.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
To me it looks like a young male. It might be a very old female, but to me the ventrals and dorsal tips are too long and pointed to be a female. How large is this fish.

javoski

5 Year Member
Thx for your attention, Mike.

I put a "meter" agaisnt the glass, to give you an acurate estimative :wink:
I guess she has around 3.5 cm = 1.4 in.

What you think ?

I will try to find another photo where you can see better her anal fin , which I find suspicious.

When "it" arrive yesterday, I was so mad, I felt dumb asking. I was sure it was a male.

Today I am more in doubt :tongue:
I went to a friends house who had some sucessful fry in the past. He is keeping around 15 young males and 3 females.

Most his fish are around same size as mine, and the males even if they didnt have well developed dorsal fin, they were more pointed than mine´s.

But mine really looks ro have a more long, slender body than his females.

Thx for your help.

KenL

5 Year Member
It's a strange colour form. It does look like a young male to me. Main thing I spot is the tail forming extensions.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with KenL. I have never seen caudal fin extensions on females that are as long as on your fish. Dorsal spines II and III are much to long, even for an old female.

javoski

5 Year Member
You´re right, guys.

Will call the shop tomorrow.
Let me see if they say they sent the wrong fish ... of if they argue that it´s a female.

Thx for your help

M

malsponge

Thats a beautiful fish though. Looks a bit like my cacatuoides gold but the spots are much more red than the orange spots on my male.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….