• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got 'em all!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's official... as of yesterday I have at least one type of every described species of Pelvicachromis... all 8. Plus I have six of the P. taeniatus types. I had to tell you al that quickly in case I lose some and do not have all 8 species tomorrow.

I also picked up some Nanochromis transvestitus, Gobiocichla ethelwynae and G. wonderii.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Pick a small genus! That is what I did..LOL. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to accumulate all the Apistos. Some SA genera that might be good candidates are Dicrossus, Laetacara or Nanacara. The next group I am thinking of going for is genus Chromidotilapia or Benitochromis.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Ted wrote-
I also picked up some Nanochromis transvestitus, Gobiocichla ethelwynae and G. wonderii

If you ever spawn the goby cichlids, I'd love to buy some fry off of you. Where did you find those btw? I haven't seen them available for a while.

~Jeremy Basch

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
Well the real challenge is to keep, breed and raise every species in one genus.

I can boast to have managed this with.....

.......Anomalochromis!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

On a serious note, I'm working breeding every Pelvicachromis and Steatocranus. (I don't have the space to keep them at the same time). So far I've managed 3 Pelvics and one Steatocranus!!

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I'm trying to keep every species with a Genus somewhat related to Apistogramma, Geophagus. So far, I'm up to 10 species and counting. Should have tried a smaller Genus with smaller fish, too late now!

~Jeremy Basch
Webpage-http://www.AmazonCichlids.com

The reginator

5 Year Member
Well on my way to having the lamprologus family, although one of my calvus' died after being attacked by a juli. marlieri :frown:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Good luck. FishBase list almost 20 valid species of Lamprologus, many of which are never found in the hobby. Then there are all of the Neolamprologus, Lepidolamprologus ...

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Oops! My eye are going bad! You want all of the Neolamps - almost 50 different species right now!

The fishbase list is not exactly accurate at this time. (In my opinion.) It currently includes the shelldwellers, 'Lamprologus' and Lepidiolamprologus fish.

There are about 35 described species, one sp. eseki, and a few c.f.'s at the present time.

There are very few of these that aren't currently available NOW, if you wish to spend the time and money to find them. I've bred 10 of the one's on that list, and could be at 15 by the end of the year. A couple of new one's per year... and 10 years from now... I'm in no hurry. ;)

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not to beat a dead horse or dig up an old thread but I had to share...

I've finally tracked down wild stock of all eight current Pelvicachromis (pulcher, signatus, sacrimontis, humilus, roloffi, rubrolabiatus, subocellatus, taeniatus)

as well as wild P. sp. Guinea Blue Fin

and P. sp aff. subocellatus (aquarium strain)

And Ted, only one described and one undescribed Pelvicachromis left to spawn.

The more exciting news is I tracked down wild stock of all three Stomatepia!

S. mariae
S. mongo!!! (No, it's not extinct!)
S. pindu

And a few gimmies...(both monotypic genus)

Anomalochromis thomasi Guinea-wild

Myaka myaka-wild-single fish-anyone have more?

Jeff

Azur

5 Year Member
S. mongo!!! (No, it's not extinct!)
But it probably soon will be. All the Barombi Mbo species effectively live on borrowed time. Being restricted to one small lake in an arid region with exploding human population isn't a recipe for long-term survival.

2007 saw three species of cichlid declared officially extinct (all Tristramella species except simonis, a result of diverting water for agriculture). The malagasy cichilds are basically in free fall, with a number of species not seen for several years, again a result of an exploding human population. Central africa is being clear-cut and converted to oil palm plantations at an ever increasing rate. And now that Stuart Grant is dead there isn't any longer anyone keeping fisheries consultants and aid organizations from releasing nile perch into lake Malawi to convert those worthless malawi cichlids to valuable nile perch fillet.

The situation isn't much better in South America. When the dams in Xingu, Madeira, and Tocantins are built we'll lose a big chunk of all the Teleocichla and at least one rheophilic Crenicichla and probably a Geophagus and a few Apistogramma, more to follow when the second stage of the plan comes to fruition (the dams are intended to provide infrastructure for converting 1/3rd of the Amazon to soy bean plantations. Yes, really).

Keeping all species of cichlid is going to get easier and easier. :frown:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….