• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis sp. ‘Falesade’

M

minibull

A shop in the uk is listing both Pelvicachromis sp. ‘Falesade’ & Pelvicachromis sp. ‘Fansiga does ay one know anything about either, The same shop also lists all the usual Pelvicachromis sp ins rubrolabiatus, signatus, and 'Blue fin' so I presume these are something completly new. Unfortunatly the shop is 240 miles away from my home so a bit far to take a look.
Mick

chromis

5 Year Member
Hi Mick

I think I know the shop you are referrring to as I saw the listing as well. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have them as listed in the websitewhen I went to visit them last Bank holiday weekend. I even asked for them specifically in case they are in quarantine but have been told that all West Africans are already out in the shop floor. I therefore cannot tell you what they might look like.

They do have a new batch of Pelvicachromis signatus but no rubrolabiatus, and only 1 blue fin left (female from what I can see). These fish are not new, just newly described species as they used to be be called "Bandi I" and "Bandi II". The Blue fin is a new specie though.

They do have some Lamp congoensis as well as Konia if you are into Westies.

Regards
chromis

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have never heard of those types. Any idea what country in West Africa they were collected in?

I found a reference to a village of Falesade in Guinae.

chromis

5 Year Member
Yes, it is a good shop, which explains why they got voted best shop in the UK. They tend to have good fish when I go and visit. West Africans are now showing up in their tanks more often. Whether it's appearing on their exporters' list or they've discovered they sell well I cannot say. They currently have some adult Etroplus canarensis for sale if anyone is interested. I would get some but they are a bit pricey for me.:frown:

Shame as I used to live 20 mins away from them and usually visit the shop almost every week.

chromis

5 Year Member
Hi all

I've emailed the shop yesterday and got a reply confirming that they do have them. I replied back to say that I did ask about them when I visited last week but was told otherwise. I am awaiting a reply to this and will try and visit again this weekend and see. I will let you know what I find and if possible, take some pictures.:biggrin:

chromis

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis sp. "Falesade" & P. sp. "Fansiga"

To our friends in the UK,

Please someone furnish additional information and some photos of the above.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member

Hello friends,

At least from a preliminary inquiry, it appears that Pelvicachromis sp. "Falesade" and P. sp. "Fansiga" are Guinean P. humilis. Keith Lambert, the livestock manager for Wildwoods Water Gardens Ltd., responds as follows:

Hi Randall,

These fishes were imported directly by Wildwoods from Guinee (They may not have been collected there) I am told by our shipper that they are new unidentified species although I suspect they will turn out to be varieties/subspecies. They are in some ways similar to Pelv. humilis - at least to me but I am no expert!

With only one exception, the Pelvicachromis humilis coming out of Guinee are collected within the Kolente River system. Checking a map of Guinee there are two Fansigas: one is located northeast of Conakry, and the other due east. Both locations appear to be within the Kolente system. Keith Lambert offers photos when they are available, but I would not be surprised if the subject fish turn out to be P. humilis.

Thank you.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

M

minibull

P.sp Falsade

Thanks for the info I look forward to seeing some photo's. As to their being varieties of P.humlis matters little if they are obviously distinct from the existing varieties. My own view is that humlis will eventually be split into a number of seperate species anyway.

chromis

5 Year Member
Hi all

It seems to be more anti-climactic at the moment. I have been to the shop again and they have kindly shown me in the quarantine area. From what I can see, the Pelvicachromis sp. "Falesade" is actually a rubrolabiatus. The "Fansinga" is also a humilis but I cannot distinguish it as the tank was located near a wall. I cannot see any coloured males (if there was any) so cannot distinguish or compare the pics from Lamboj's book to identify. They also have some "Dinkya" off which I got a pair. I also decided to get a pair of the rubrolabiatus in the end.

The manager of the shop told me that their suppliers actually asked Lamboj to identify the fish but unless they were labelled incorrectly when shipped, I cannot say.

On a similar note, Wholesale tropicals do have a pair of Teaniatus "Wouri" (good size) left as well as some Parananochromis caudifasciatus if anyone's interested.:biggrin:

regards
chromis

I will take pictures of the ones I bought anyway. They are settling well.

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis rubrolabiatus & P. signatus

Hello Chromis,

Thank you for keeping us in loop.

I checked Lamboj's descriptions of both Pelvicachroimis rubrolabiatus and P. signatus, and the holotypes of both species were collected in the Kolente River system northeast of Conkary. Looking at the distribution map in the description, the collection locations of both species is in close proximatey to Fansiga.

It seems you are right: the one species you were able to see may be P. rubrolabiatus, and the other may be either P. signatus or P. humilus.

Thanks again!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member

Hello friends,

To follow up on the Pelvicachromis spp. offered by Wildwoods, Keith Lambert, the livestock manager, kindly forwarded photos of the fish to me. Many of the fish offered came in mislabeled. To the best of my judgement, the group consists of Pelvicachromis humilis "Dinkaya," P. rubrolabiatus, P. signatus, and a third P. humilis-form (P. humilis "Fria") that, unlike the two just mentioned, is not collected in the Kolente River system but instead further north. This particular form may be sympatric with P. sp. "Blue Fin" and is arguably the most beautiful P. humilis color-morph.

Can anyone help me out with web space, so I may post the photos, please?

Thanks very much.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Addendum

Although I can't be positive, the third Pelvicachromis form cited above looks like P. humilis "Fria" or "Friya" from the Konkoure River system in Guinea. Wildwoods also offered a fourth Pelvicachromis sp. that was labeled P. sp. "Falesade" all of which are sold out.

R

Hello friends,

A big thank you to both Rahul (retro gk) and Ted (tjudy) for offering web space to post Keith Lambert's photos. Rahul came forward first, so the following photos are posted due to his accomodation. All five photos are courtesy of Keith Lambert, Wildwoods Aquatic Gardens Ltd.

pelcicachromis-humillis-bar.jpg

Pelvicachromis signatus (males)
Exported to Wildwoods as P. humilis

pelvicachromis-humilis-dink.jpg

Pelvicachromis rubrolabiatus (female)
Exported to Wildwoods as P. humilis "Dinkaya"

The balance of Keith Lambert's photos may be found below.

R

Randall

5 Year Member

Hello friends,

Here is the balance of Keith Lambert's photos.

pelvicachromis--dinkaya-.jpg

Pelvicachromis humilis "Fria" (male)
Exported to Wildwoods as P. humilis "Dinkaya"

pelvicachromis--rubrolabiat.jpg

Pelvicachromis humilis "Fria" (female)
Exported to Wildwoods as P. rubrolabiatus

pelvicachromis-sp%5B1%5D%5B1%5D.-fansiga.jpg

Pelvicachromis humilis "Dinkaya" (males)
Exported to Wildwoods as P. sp. "Fansiga"

In addition to the above, Wildwoods obtained another P. humilis-type labeled P. sp. "Falesade." Although no photos of this form are available, there is a good chance that the form corresponds to P. rubrolabiatus.

Thank you.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The female signatus pictured above is a female P. rubrolabiatus. P. signatus does not have the yellow.

I have had a few of the different 'dinkaya' types of P. humilis, and currently have 'fria' (or 'friya' depending upon the seller). There are images of 'friya' here, as well as 'boffa', 'kasewe' and the fish being incorrectly labeled 'liberia red:

http://www.tedsfishroom.com/westafrican.html

Interestingly, I just got a look at the current Glaser stock list and they are listing P. humilis 'liberia red - gold', 'Gbesse-Mara' and 'Fria 2'. IMO the P. humilis types from Guinea (all we are getting at the moment) are all extremely similar. Combine that with an individual fish's ability to change color pattern quickly and dramatically, and there is very little we can do to identify characters that will positively separate one population from another all of the time. I suspect that there are multiple collectors working the same localities, and the names they use for fish from those localities are not consistant. Until someone other than a commercial exporter/collector goes to Guinae and does a comprehensive study of the collection sites we will not know if a P. humilis with a new name is truly new or not. The use of multiple names for the same fish is not uncommon, and has even happened with sceintist-led expeditions (such as the P. t. 'keinke' and P. t. 'nange' being from the same locality).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….