• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Maulbruder holding!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have an A. maulbruder with a mouthful. How long will she hold before the fry are free swimming? Is there any danger leaving the fry in with the male for a while?

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Hi,

In my experience, my female took the fries just after the eggs hatched and she mouthbrooded them for about 4-5 days, wich is usually the time by wich the babies become free-swimming.

They were housed in a 55 gallons tank, so I left the male with mom and kids. She used to chase him away from the brood without any further agression.

If I had to do it again, I would remove the male, just to be sure.

Good luck with this wonderfull apisto, it's definitly one of my favorite !

Phil

Oupsy

5 Year Member
Imo, it s dangerous for the male.

My female mouthbreed till free-swimming and after that when she feels unsafe.
She also tends to take fry in mouth just before lights off.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
I put my male in a breeder net. I found that when I did this, the pair didn't have to get re-aquainted again. I do agree that it is dangerous to leave the male in with this species.

Rich

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rileylouie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….