• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dithers

epl4978

5 Year Member
correct me if i'm wrong because i don't know for sure but i think i dither is a fish that helps the Apistos feel more at home right. if so what could go with a pair of Bolleri in a 10 gallon tank i know the tank is small but i got the pair for a price i just couldn't turn down and it was the only tank i had that i could put them in.

Apistt_ed

hello epl,
Ditherfish are exactly what you said. They are there to provide a sense of security and for the parentfish to turn their aggression against instead of each other also (a target of aggression).
Some possible dithers are pencilfish as they are small and won't give the parents or fry (when around) any trouble. Other possible dithers are platys, dwarf rasboras, small killies, and even hatchetfish. of these fish, just two or three would be fine in a ten gallon. Remember that if you have more fish in the tank creating more wastes, the more you will have to keep up with water changes. best wishes and good luck. john

Cumb Dunt

5 Year Member
i highly recommend livebearers as dithers.

they swim in all strata of the tank and run (fast) when chased. they are also unlikely to get near any fry unless they drift by them on the way to a rock they haven't cleaned off yet.

platies are an excellent choice.

i personally keep dwarf swordtails with my pelvicachromis, and i imagine they would suit your needs as well.

however:

any of the fish previously mentioned are also excellent choices :)

KenL

5 Year Member
We have soft water out of the tap (faucette?) here and I have often struggled to keep livebearers in the past.

Pencil fish are often quoted as good tank mates for dwarfs.

On your tank, I don't think 10gallons is too small for a pair of borellii.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with KenL. The Central American livebearers live best in moderately hard, moderately alkaline water. This is not ideal for most apistos, but is acceptable for A. borellii. Smaller killifish & pencilfishes are better than the others because they are not schooling fish. They will live comfortably with just 1 or 2 others of their species. Schooling fish do not do as well without being in schools of at least 5 or 6 specimens.

Cumb Dunt

5 Year Member
i find that to be STRICTLY true only for Poecilia (excluding, of course, the ubiquitous reticulata) :)

my Xiphophorus swim/grow/breed/remain disease free in 6.4, KH 4, GH 4 without trouble. i do add other electrolytes to the water other than Ca and Mg, however...specifically K and Na. IMHO all fish benefit from both being in the water anyway.

has anyone mentioned danios? despite being "schooling fish" they seem to be just as happy flying solo or in groups of 1-3. other plusses: they're impossible to kill, and cheap :biggrin:

epl4978

5 Year Member
ok i will look around at pencils and live bearing fish i have a few liver bearing fish now but i dont want to mix them in because ones a female koi sword and the others is a small male guppy thats small enough to be eaten and i want him to be spawned be cause he has awesome coloring and i would like to get a few of its colors to stick out more in future generations

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….