• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Flying in

M

Mr Cichlid

I've gone flying in (as usual), my 200 litre tank is quite heavily plated with Java fern (I use a phosphate buffer to lower the pH and it's the only plant that it won't rot - if anyone has other plants than can withstand this buffer, please let me know!).... plenty of bogwood and a sand substrate. Internal filter and stock as follows:

1 x gold nugget plec
4 x synodontis nigrevtris
5 x x-ray tetras
3 x rosy barb
3 x neon tetra
4 x cardinal tetra
5 x corydoras
1 x Apistogramma agassizi (male)
1 x pair Cuckoo's (A. Macmaster?)
1 x pair Keyhole cichlids.

I have had absolutley no luck with Rams - or Gold Rams they have never lasted more than a month although they are my all time favourite dwarfs I have resigned to the fact I will never be able to keep them. The Agassizi killed the two females I had in with him but he looks quite happy now, and the latest additions seemed to have brought him out of his shell a little.

My questions are:

1) Can my tank hold more - there seems to be plenty of room in there
2) Any tips on plants that will stand up to a phosphate buffer?
3) Rams - any tips gratefully received.

Apart from that, having kept fish for a number of years, the dwarf cichlids, and South American in particular are the most enjoyable I have kept so far. In terms of behaviour, and colour they are hard to beat I reckon.

dunc

5 Year Member
Rams are very sensitive to water conditions, they don't like nitrate build ups at all - regular water maintenance is absolutely essential. They don't like being hassled, either.

Cuckoo/Cockatoo cichlids are Apistogramma cacatuoides (like the one in my sig - though that's a sunset, yours could be a triple red or something).

Hope that helps a little :)

M

Mr Cichlid

Thanks Dunc

When I was keeping Rams I was changing the water every 2-3 weeks at about 25 - 30% each change, I had hardly any nitrate or nitrite - usually the readings were nil and my ammonia reading was always 0, but at the time I had a pair of Kribs in the tank who were breeding regularly. Would these have bullied my Rams?

Can you share your maintenance regeime and set up for successful Rams? I'm in a hard water area and just use a straightforward phospahte buffer to drop the pH to 6.5 - 7.0

dunc

5 Year Member
I've never kept Rams at home, but I did look after a display tank with them at work (LFS).

Personally, I think every 2 to 3 weeks is too infrequent for Rams. I would definitely recommend doing a 20% water change every week if you can. 30% a fortnight at the very least.

Kribs can be absolutely awful when they're breeding, so yea I guess that could definitely have been your problem.

Just as a matter of personal taste, I prefer filtering with peat/peat granules to using phosphate buffers.

Hope that helps mate.

M

Mr Cichlid

peat filtering

Thanks Dunc, do elaborate - obviosuly peat filtering the water first is more natural, but I am hesitant about using peat when we hear so much about the depletion of peat throughout Europe.

How fiddly is it, and how does it compare cost-wise? Are there any other alternatives, and how do you do these methods? Soak the peat in the water to be added in a change? (My tapwater is very hard!)

I am using "proper pH" for cost, and ease of use. But it's downsides are only Java fern can stand up to it!

It was definately the kribs - since I gave them back to the shop the tank is a much more peaceful place. I'd say kribs are definately a species tank fish - with hard catfish only. Mind you they even terrorised my gold nugget plec....... more trouble than their worth! - but beatuiful in their own right.

dunc

5 Year Member
Lol yer mate they can be awful. They'll be fine in a community until they start breeding, then.. oh dear :)

The way I peat filter is to ram a small internal filter full of peat granules - specifically JBL's Tormec.

Works a treat, cost me £15+£8 total for everything I needed. If you have a bigger tank you may need a bigger internal filter but either way they're not expensive these days. Not fiddly in the slightest :) The easiest form of water softening IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….