• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reputable dealer in A. Hongsloi

kichibo

5 Year Member
I'm pretty set on A. Hongsloi, though I have not decided yet if I want type I or III. The problem is I can't find them locally, but I'm leary of spending tons of money to ship fish site unseen. Does anyone know of a reputable US breeder that could be relied on to send healthy, attractive, correctly sexed stock in either type? I've found a few sites online to buy from, but I'd prefer experienced opinions before I spend the money.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
kichibo, Are you are refering to "A. hongsloi" color forms I & III in Linke & Staeck's book? If so, I doubt that you will have much luck finding either. These are almost exclusively wild-caught fish that are rarely imported. The present "hongsloi" in its many color gradations is a domestic mix of several closely related forms (species?). A. hongsloi CF I is the true A. hongsloi from the type locality. I haven't seen it since 1998. "A. hongsloi" CF III is a closely related species that is never commercially collected. I did have some back in the early 1980s that came in with some Rams, but I never saw them again. I suggest that you pick out some good looking "A. hongsloi" listed as CF II, Red, Super Red, etc. These are beutiful fish. As for sources, David Soares (apistodave here & on Aquabid) has good German stock. He consistantly gets high marks for quality & dependability. Just one word of caution: if you start talking apistos with David, you're going to run up a considerable phone bill! :)

kichibo

5 Year Member
Indiana Sam, I think you may have been the one to tell me about alloddball aquatics. Eric almost always has agazzis and some german rams, usually gold, sometimes blue. I'm currently waiting for the next batch of blues. The other apistos he carries varies, but he doesn't carry many. The only other place I've seen them is at wet pets in Mcmurray, and they only have them rarely. I'd call before going to either place. They're pretty scarce around here, which is way I have to resort to ordering them :( I didn't even know we had an aquarium society, I'll definitely look into it, thank you! :)

David Soares seems to be a name I see alot, he seems to have great standing with cichlid people! I'll have to look him up, and I'll make sure to use those extra cell minutes when I call:) I'm still figuring out the type thing, but I'm looking for as close to wild coloring as I can get. If I can't get that though, I want to go the opposite extreme and get super reds. What does the CF designation signify?

LyreTail

5 Year Member
I just got some fish From Apistodave and they were great quality and doing great. I have also bought from Mr Jacobs from southernapistos.com and they were very good quality and color. I think many of Southernapistos are imported from South America.
I did have problems ordering from Florida, since my water is nearly RO water from the tap and Florida water is very hard. It was an expensive learning lesson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….