• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rams not peaceful?

R

rijac

i have always been under the impression that rams are peaceful community fish accept when spawning and breeding...

i recently added a pair of rams to a sa community tank with some hatchets, a small school of cardinals and 3 cordydoras...

the female died after getting stuck in the underfloor filter outflow... i haven't been able to replace her yet. the male in the past one week or so has harrased 2 corys (literraly) to death. is this normal behaviour?

any recommendations what to do?

scott

5 Year Member
are they altispinosas or ramirezi? because altispinosas can be more aggressive than the smaller ramirezi. also every individual fish his it's own "personality" so even with the most peaceful species there can be a fish that is abnormally more aggressive. i once had a rummynose that spent most of it's days pretending it was a torpedo and "ramming" the discus in the tank.

R

rijac

they are dutch bred, i believe ramirezi (correct me if i'm wrong, altispinosa don't have the red coloration around the eyes while ramerazi's do?).

he seems to leave the hatchets and cardinals alone.. i guess its because the corys are in his 'territory' at the bottom of the tank.... its a 23 gallon with a surface are of 2.5 feet by 1 foot.

R

rijac

yup. ramirezi. just not as intensely coloured as the ones in the links.

scott

5 Year Member
yes, those are some exceptionally good looking rams. wish i could find some like that. about your rams, that seems to be out of the norm how aggressive they are. the rams i have kept have all been relatively peaceful. i hope they mello out a little for you.

tjd

5 Year Member
rijac, I had a lone male ramirezi in my display tank along with four full grown Botia almorhae, four Botia kubotai, two Botia striata, one Skunk botia (the aggressive one, real terror -- red in the cadual fin with no yellow or black), a pair of paradise fish, and shoal of 10 White Clouds. At feeding time the ramirezi was by far the most aggressive. He would stake out where most of the food settled and keep everyone else at bay, except for one Yoyo which ignored his attacks.

It was this behavior towards the Yoyo loach that prompted one of my earlier posts on the origin of "Ram" as the common name. The ramirezi would square off with the side of the Yoyo ramming him, backing up a couple inches and do it again. The Yoyo did not seem to mind this at all and would continue with eating occasionally rolling towards his side when the
ramirezi got a good hit in once he got bigger.

This behavior never went away but I didn't worry about it as the Botia's seemed to take it in stride and were not injured.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….