• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange Apistogramma bitaeniata behavour.

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
The A. bitaeiata in question came in a box of what should have been Shishita but was a box most mostly agassizii. I split the pair up as soon as i noticed them. The male is much larger than the female being about 8 cm and the female being about 3 cm. Both where very shy and even when the female was guarding her eggs the male would run to his cave when I came close. But now that the fry are free swimming he has change he is more out going. He is also looking after the fry and chasing the poor female away. I have two thoughts on the matter one the male had once been a female though now male has not lost it's instinct about the fry. Two just thinks he can do a better job. I have known males take over fry if the female dies but never known them to take over if the females is around. There is also the very slim possibility that. For these fish it is normal for the male to look after the fry but the only way too know for sure is to see what happens on the next generation. I may however have another small male in the stock tank which i may be able to spawn with the female and see if the same thing happens. I will probably have too pull the female away from the spawning tank as the male is giving her a bit of a kicking.

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

scott

5 Year Member
i have had it happen with cacs but the female was sick and died shortly after she was relieved of her duties. with my rams the male takes over as soon as the eggs are layed every time but i am pretty sure this is the norm with m. ramirezi, more or less. it is a very interesting behavior to watch. i read your post about your "fish house", sounds amazing! good luck with it, i would also love to see some pics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….