• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

fish laid eggs help(cockatoos)

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
both females have own batch. the male has dug a pit beside a rock but theres no eggs is this where the fri go it weird tho cause my fish r only 4 months old i no this because i bought them of a breeder. and the male doesnt even have his ful colours yet. so when they hatch what do i feed them. all i have is blood worms and flakes. will the mother feed them unlit they can eat the blood worms? thanks alot. one more thing when will they hatch since they laid them april 29 in the afternoon

thanks so much josh

scott

5 Year Member
in my experience eggs seem to hatch in 2-3 days. you will need to feed the fry once they become free swimming or else they will starve to death very quickly. i feed my fry mostly freshly hatched brine shrimp and microworms. decapsulated brine shrimp eggs is also a good fry food but i find them to be too big for a fisrt food for some species although my cacs have been able to take them right away. your question about the male digging a hiole for the fry it is possible but from what i have seen taking care of eggs/wrigglers is almost always the responsibility of the female with little or no help from the male. congratulations on the spawns and good luck with the fry.

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
Hey Josh, You can go to Big Als in Burnaby and get frozen rotifers and frozen baby brine shrimp. The babys will do fine on them. There is a good chance that the male will help in the raising of the fry, as their dad actually chased the mom off the eggs and took care of them for the first 1 1/2 months of their lives.

scott

5 Year Member
i have seen the males take care of free swimming fry many times but only once i have seen amale take care of eggs/wrigglers and that was after he chased off the female because she was sick and she died soon after. i am speaking strictly of my own experiences which cacs, i do have close to 800 in grow out tanks currently.

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
Beware of leaving your male and female in the same tank. I did this with my first batch with no problem. However on the second batch of fry, mom was real protective and killed the dad! I'm not an expert, but if you have the room, pull the mom and eggs and put them in their own tank. Good luck.

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
hey thanks im pritty sure there unfertile cause there like a yellowy colour so maybe next time what should i do because the mom isnt eating the eggs so do i take them out?

cdawson

5 Year Member
dwarf_puffer said:
hey thanks im pritty sure there unfertile cause there like a yellowy colour so maybe next time what should i do because the mom isnt eating the eggs so do i take them out?

I've seen my eggs a yellow colour before and still hatch, watch them for a few days before writing them off. If they start going white, then they're bad.

scott

5 Year Member
i have had yellow eggs hatch before, rather frequently, they still have a chance, i'll keep my fingers crossed for them.

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
The line of triple red I am breeding (if you havent guessed by now, I am who Dwf Puff got the cacs from) have had yellowey/orange eggs with every single batch they lay. I dont know if this is normal egg coloration or just something different with mine :confused: The males are more of an orange coloured 'triple red' with some areas being more red. Maybe the eggs reflect the coloration of the adult male fishes :confused: I think some experiments and comparisons may be in order. It would be an interesting thing to find out, but I bet it doesnt really mean much.

Z Man

5 Year Member
I always found that the egg color depended on just what foods the Rams were being fed. Live BBS, bright red; flakes,then pink to yellow then beige. As long as they are not white you should be fine.

cdawson

5 Year Member
Z Man said:
I always found that the egg color depended on just what foods the Rams were being fed. Live BBS, bright red; flakes,then pink to yellow then beige. As long as they are not white you should be fine.

I feed mine mostly blood worms, mysis shrimp and brine shrimp and their eggs are always yellow or beige though. Never have seen the characteristic fire engine red egg colour yet. Three different species this has occured in, agassizii, cacatuoides, and nijsseni.

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
oh

my one female eat hers but the other 1 i washed all the eggs of but i missed acouple on purpose so i guess ill c hw many days again?!

scott

5 Year Member
i feed my cacs mostly brine shrimp, daphnia, and black worms. i would say it's probably 50/50 chance whether they lay red or yellow eggs. although
my y/g color morph Always lays yellow eggs 100% of the time.

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
oh dear

the other mom cam in to the other nest and ate all the other s eggs. but but they still protect there eggs nest even that theres nothing in them is this normal?

cdawson

5 Year Member
dwarf_puffer said:
the other mom cam in to the other nest and ate all the other s eggs. but but they still protect there eggs nest even that theres nothing in them is this normal?

I've had my agassizii protect an empty space for days after I stole her eggs, same with my cacatuoides.

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
yeh

i double checked to make sure there were no more eggs and i saw the wigglers how many days will they survive on theyre yolk sak what do i feed them after that and where can i buy it thanks

cdawson

5 Year Member
scott said:
you don't need to feed the until they are "free swimming". at that point the best food (in my opinion) is freshly hatched brine shrimps. any lfs should sell eggs and you can make a hatchery very easily here is an article with directions
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Leong_Brine_Shrimp_Hatchery.html

if you don't want to spend that much time feeding you fish frozen baby brine shrimp will do.

I disagree, I've had a high mortality with frozen BBS and overall less healthy fish come from using frozen BBS. Live BBS all the way! It's so simple, I thought it was going to be difficult but I was REALLY wrong. I don't even use the method in that article. I simply use an airpump for 24-48 hours in the overturned pop bottle hanging on the side of a fry tank and use a flashlight to attract the bbs to the edge of the bottle. Prop the flashlight up so you can leave it in place for 10 minutes and after 10 minutes the empty shells will float to the top and you can stick a turket baster in the water and suck up the BBS. Then strain them through a panty hose or fine mesh and feed to fish!

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
hey

as u no only one of my females eggs hatched. they had eggs at smae time will they have them at the same time next time because right now the male and the other female r chasing her away. so will they have eggs at the same time next time because when they both had eggs they were fine. alos the female whos eggs didnt hatch has lost her colours drasically she is eating but besides that not doing much is this just normal depresion?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….