• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ram eggs

LyreTail

5 Year Member
Seb said:
Thanks for the advice. But I have a problem, my Rams lay thier eggs on the biggest rock in my tank every time!!!

Its annoying, but I might try and add a small divider for the rock or even put them in a suspended tub in the water. It seems as if I might be doing it very soon aswell, it looks like eggs are on the way! Oh and a quick question, does anyone reckon that pygmy corys would eat ram eggs or fry? Oh and another (sorry for all the questions) If I do use methlene blue in an isolated container for any type of eggs, how much should I use?

All corys are night time bandits :)

I think those dose for methalyne blue is one the bottle - 2 drop per gal

Another question - My Ram fry did not eat live BBS but did seem to eat a little micro food ( golden pearls - www.brineshrimpdirect.com ) . I did not try decapsulated yet- perhaps tomarrow. I have 60+ fry swarming around my hatching tank and I do not want to lose them. They have been truely freeswimming actively for only a day or two now - Any Tips?

T_om

5 Year Member
LyreTail said:
I have 60+ fry swarming around my hatching tank and I do not want to lose them. They have been truely freeswimming actively for only a day or two now - Any Tips?

Feed 'em.

The main cause of fry mortality is starvation.

People do not realize that fry need a *constant* and reliable food source. Free swimming fry will die VERY quickly without suitable food.

Tom

LyreTail

5 Year Member
well that was helpful ahem....- I have been looking at their bodies with a magnifying glass and they really do not look like they are eating much. Some seem to be eating a little.

Seb

5 Year Member
Well my rams laid about 100+ , fertile eggs this afternoon and have been guarding them quite well. But I'm about to move them to 'floating lunchbox' in another tank and hope they hatch. Anyway thank you all for the advice and I'll try to show some pictures of any fry.

JG

5 Year Member
T_om said:
Odd. I have never had much of a problem after the pairs settled down a bit.

Here is the latest spawn. About a week since eggs laid. Free swimming now.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Were the rams in the picture wild caught or tank raised?

J

Seb

5 Year Member
Well the fry didn't make it and died off pretty quick. Just had another spawn, eaten in 10minutes this time : ( by the male. The male seems to keep bullying the female now constantly and to be honest I've given up on him. Do u think I should get her a new partner or what?

scott

5 Year Member
if the eggs are hatching then the male is fertile so i would stick with him. they will get it right eventually. don't be discouraged some people consider m. ramirezi fry very difficult to raise compared to other dwarves. instead of moving the eggs move the female and let the male care for the spawn. i say this because i have a pair of rams and once the female lays the eggs she pays no attention to them and the male takes on all brood care responsibilities i.e. fanning eggs, herding fry, etc.. i guess what i should have said is to remove which ever parent doesn't care for the eggs/fry. when the fry are free swimming and to the point that they can't be easily "herded" by the parent then remove the parent and reunite the pair in another tank and they will spawn again. this strategy works very well for me with almost all of my dwarves (apistogramma, mikrogeophagus, dicrossus) good luck.

scott

Seb

5 Year Member
wow your lucky! Well I have seperated the pair (think i posted that somewhere eles)

Seb

5 Year Member
Well I have a feeling I know why they were going infertile, pH 7.8!!!

Just shows you, its a good idea to check.

what actually is the ideal pH? and should I use black water or chemical stuff (which I hate!)

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
I don't know what the 'ideal' is but I get a >95% hatch rate in my tap water which is pH7 or higher and 1-2 degrees of GH and KH. I suspect it's the mineral content (hardness) rather than the pH that causing you issues. In the summer the pH of my water can get well above 8 (I think the water company adds lime) and my corys and dwarfs still spawn no problems.
You might need to cut your tap water with RO water. Not something I've had to do so can't give details.

Seb

5 Year Member
bit of a newbie question, but I've never used RO water so I dont really know what it is. lol

BigDaddy

5 Year Member
RO stands for Reverse Osmosis.

It is water that is filtered through a ... you guessed it... RO unit.

It removes almost all the impurities/minerals, etc... out of the water.

Great way to get lower pH water.

mematrix

5 Year Member
Bit late on reply

:biggrin: Hi seb my name is Curtis. I was reading the posts here and came across yours. I had a problem with my Rams eating their eggs also 2 spawns before I found this article. Witch worked quite well I have the fry from 2 spawns to prove it. Heres the link http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/breeding/bluerambreeding.html This may be a little late though you might find it interesting still. Sincerely Curtis :biggrin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….