• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hair Algae on floater roots

tarmer

Greetings- I know the questions you are all going to start with ( water chemistry readings) - I took this in the morning before leaving for work so I will have to get those when I get home....

The problem seems to be most related to the roots of the penny wort but I do have some small breakouts in other areas of the tank - I am only feeding a small amount in the am and small amount in the pm ( and can cut back if needed)

it is a biocube with the lights set to ramp up and down - I have actinic blue (moonlights) that run all day from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm and the white leds come on low (sunrise) at 7:00 am and ramp up to full power at 10:00 am and stay full power until 5:00pm than go half power again (sunset) from 5:00 pm to 6:00 and then blue lights only till 7:00

I am trying to make sure there is enough lights for the plants to grow but not enough to get algae ( which seems to be the losing issue)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to combat this issue?

Attachments

• EBC1B8FE-B326-4856-9FEB-5B0B68D1077C.jpeg
    EBC1B8FE-B326-4856-9FEB-5B0B68D1077C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 168

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I don't think the feeding is an issue at all. The peak PAR reading for the Biocube vastly exceeds what is needed for a low tech tank. Also, you're running lights more or less constantly. I would personally kill the moonlight cycle and reduce your peak intensity by half, and then see how it does. You may want to physically remove as much of the hair algae as you can to give your plants a better start. Good luck!

tarmer

I don't think the feeding is an issue at all. The peak PAR reading for the Biocube vastly exceeds what is needed for a low tech tank. Also, you're running lights more or less constantly. I would personally kill the moonlight cycle and reduce your peak intensity by half, and then see how it does. You may want to physically remove as much of the hair algae as you can to give your plants a better start. Good luck!
Ben.... thank you I will give that a shot !

tarmer

One other question in regards to PAR ( coming from reef world) I have some Anubis, Java fern, repens, and Amazon sword - I know Anubis and fern are lower light but what about the sword and repens will they get enough with the intensity set at about 3-4 hours and the low light for about 8-12 ?

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
"Enough" depends on what you want. Swords tend to grow faster with more light, but if you're getting unwanted algae with the the amount of light you're throwing, you need to decrease the light or add CO2. I wouldn't recommend 12 hours of light. It isn't needed, and is contributing to your problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….