• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

best ph for breeding macs?

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Are your GH and KH readings really ppm, or are they degrees? It doesn't make sense to me that your TDS can be that low with a pH that high.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
That makes more sense. OK so I would guess your TDS is at least 100, which is OK, but you either have buffers or a base in there holding your pH up. Cutting with RO would likely help. Organics will help more. Peat's really the most effective, but I try to avoid using that if other solutions work. You don't need to dry the organics if they are dead. They will go in water anyway.

Aquaticloch

the TDS reading i got from someone reliable with the same water as me. I am getting a TDS meter later this week, so I hope to have more accurate readings.
The water suppliers readings were 2.6-6.31 mg/L (This may have changed) another thing to note is that my water is extremely soft, probably the most so in my country (CAN).

Last edited:

MacZ

another off topic question: how can I lower my ph without using chemical additives?

GH: 3ppm
KH: 5ppm
TDS: 2-5ppm
ph: 7.2

I just cannot get my ph low at all, what do I need to do? thanks for any help

So if those are 5°KH, the 3°GH is likely an error, as besides with a water softening unit GH is never lower than KH. The TDS reading could be in µSi/m, neither ppm or milli-Siemens/m.

Anyway if we take the KH-reading as a secure reading, that means with botanicals like leaves and alder cones the pH won't go down much more than maybe by 0.3 and will only be maintained if you add a growing amount of leaves to build a leaf litter bed.

I'd use RO water, at least 50:50 ratio mixed with tap. That would get you in the KH range below 2° where botanicals can do something significant with the leaf litter bed method. Then you might get down to 6.5. To get further down, peat would be the last resort before using chemicals and peat will likely get you to around 6.0. But it will have to be replaced regularly.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The best - and probably most expensive - option is to reduce your carbonate hardness first by about half. Then leaves, cones, or peat are more effective. If it is for domestic strains of A. macmasteri your water values should work as they are now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….