• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

michaelrox

Hello, first time poster. I bought 4 A. Agassizii (Red) at the LFS and have only had them in my tank for a little over a day. Comparing it to other pictures of Apistos posted on here I am unsure now whether it is an Agassizii that just needs to get adjusted to my aquarium or is a whole other species. Here are pictures of the presumed males and females, which I may be way off on.
Apisto_Male.jpeg
Apisto_Male2.jpeg
Apisto_Female.jpeg
Apisto_Female2.jpeg

Binjo

I'm certainly no expert, and was just asking this question myself a month ago, but I'd bet money those are NOT Agassizii. They may be too young to ID, but the tail and dorsal fin markings are a dead giveaway of not Agassizii. Here is a website by Mike Wise and Tom C that is very interesting and a ton of help in learning and identifying:

michaelrox

Thanks for the help so far. I realize there are almost a hundred different Apisto species and finding out exact species will be pretty hard at this stage of their life, but from my understanding nobody thinks it is actually an agasizzii? Let me know if more pictures will help.

MacZ

Female is somewhere in the cf ortegai "Pebas" neighborhood?

Thinking the same about the male, but the number of ventral stripes is a bit off... Maybe cruzi?

I realize there are almost a hundred different Apisto species and finding out exact species will be pretty hard at this stage of their life, but from my understanding nobody thinks it is actually an agasizzii? Let me know if more pictures will help.

Pictures in good lighting and with erect fins (esp. the dorsal) would be helpful. Otherwise I'd say leave them some time to acclimate. Stress stripes and rests of juvenile coloration are distorting it for most of us.

Uncle.Ned

5 Year Member
practically positive it is MacMasteri, if your store's supplier got it from an Asian tranship, they almost always call MacMasteri Agassizi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….