• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borellii vs opal

Muskies85

Hi everyone. Looking into getting Borellii opal as I just love that blue color. I see on the TomC website it has A101-A104 as various types of Borellii and A105 as opal. My question is which other number is sold as Borellii if opal is 105. Also are there any differences between the two species other than the coloration? Thank you guys!
F048CA83-581B-4A43-8892-AE666A712EEB.png

rasmusW

5 Year Member
as far as i know, "opal" is an aquarium strain. -and i guess the rest is color variation and catch location, which may or may not end up in different sub species.. -but i could be very wrong.

-r

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. borellii (Opal) was originally a spectacular domestic color strain of A. borellii developed by East German aquarists back in the 1960s. This strain disappeared sometime in the 1980s. Now A. borellii (Opal) is used for any A. borellii - wildcaught or domestic bred - that has a lot of red on the face: same species (for now) just different color morphs.

Rapophie

I read in a couple of German-speaking sources, that borellii Opal is a local colour variation from the Rio Paraguay, but as already stated, most people will likely refer to any borellii with a red face, since hybrids, bred (I actually have not seen evidence of those yet) and natural strains are hard to tell apart. Though sometimes you can come across people who try to keep their population free from the non-natural ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….