• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two males?

Kymmys442

Hi there.
Im still new to the forum. Ive only posted my introduction. I have an issue though. What i thought was a male/female pair of Viejitas/Macmasteri, im pretty sure are actually 2 males. My tank is a 20 gallon, lots of plants, caves, and hiding spots. But the more colorful of the two, has claimed the whole tank. He chases the other, non stop.The only way the other can get away, is by sitting towards the top of the tank. I dont have another tank yet. I just ordered a new Fluval Flex 15 gallon. But itll be about a week before it gets here, and even longer to cycle it for occipants. Ive rearranged the decor and even devided the tank with plants, to block line of sight. But the aggressive male, will literally go hunting for the other. Im not sure what to do. I live in the boondocks, so there isnt a fish store for a couple hundred miles. Any suggestions would be so welcomed.

Larry Rogers

5 Year Member
Hi there.
Im still new to the forum. Ive only posted my introduction. I have an issue though. What i thought was a male/female pair of Viejitas/Macmasteri, im pretty sure are actually 2 males. My tank is a 20 gallon, lots of plants, caves, and hiding spots. But the more colorful of the two, has claimed the whole tank. He chases the other, non stop.The only way the other can get away, is by sitting towards the top of the tank. I dont have another tank yet. I just ordered a new Fluval Flex 15 gallon. But itll be about a week before it gets here, and even longer to cycle it for occipants. Ive rearranged the decor and even devided the tank with plants, to block line of sight. But the aggressive male, will literally go hunting for the other. Im not sure what to do. I live in the boondocks, so there isnt a fish store for a couple hundred miles. Any suggestions would be so welcomed.
When your new tank arrives do a water change. Take half the water from the old tank and put it in the new tank then fill both tanks with clean water. Take the filter media out of the old filter and squeeze it into the new filter then return the media to the old filter. This will innoculate your new tank making it cycle faster and safe for the persecuted one until cycle is completed and more fish can be added. You will eventually need to set up a quarentine system for new fish and plants before they go into your good tanks.

Kymmys442

Thank you so much! Thats great info! For the time being, I put a small mirror in next to where the aggressor usually comes back to. Its helped. Its not a perfect solution. But it keeps the bully occupied long enough for the other guy to come out, eat, and move a bit. A much needed break for him. So far, its working well. Its the only temporary thing i could think of, to draw attention to something other than the other Apisto.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
But it keeps the bully occupied long enough for the other guy to come out, eat, and move a bit. A much needed break for him. So far, its working well. Its the only temporary thing i could think of, to draw attention to something other than the other Apisto.
You could try <"putting a piece of pipe">, that the non-dominant can hide in, towards the top of the aquarium.

cheers Darrel

Kymmys442

Thank you! I will give that a try. The mirror seems to do the trick for awhile. Then he gets bored with it, and goes looking for the other guy. Strange question...But do non dominant Apistos lose color, or appear more dull than the dominant? Or am i truly looking at two males?

Attachments

• 20200608_164622.jpg
    20200608_164622.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 234
  • 20200603_200841.jpg
    20200603_200841.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 218

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I looks like 2 males to me. Your dominant fish has claimed the entire bottom of the tank as his territory. For now the best solution is to do as Darrel suggested with a piece of floating pipe or to partition off part of the tank. BTW I've read that some male macs will claim an entire 1 meter/40" long tank when given the chance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….