• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. baenschi behavior question

dwightparker

I have 2 in a 29 gallon tank. Would a male or female chase one of the other sex, or am I to assume they are the same sex? I have substantial line of sight blockage, and a couple of caves made if that info helps. One is substantially larger than the other so I thought I had a larger male and smaller female.....otherwise not sure how to sex them.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. baenschi is a nijsseni-group species. Species in this group can be rather choosy about breeding partners. If you have 2 of the opposite sex and keep attacking each other then they may not be compatible.

dwightparker

Ok thanks.....I believe I had 2 females together..... I moved the smaller of the 2 to it's own tank, then added a male ( pretty sure because of the distinct orange edge of the caudal fin)......they are not chasing each other which is a good sign....will TRY to get some photos but they are hiding now after all the catch, move, and release from the last 2 days.....

Triviashi_Maru

A. baenschi is a nijsseni-group species. Species in this group can be rather choosy about breeding partners. If you have 2 of the opposite sex and keep attacking each other then they may not be compatible.

Mike, how choosy are they with each other? Does interbreeding occur within the group? I ask because retailers are sometimes not great about identification, especially with young fish. So if I'm picking up home bred nijesseni group fish I want to know if it's possible they could have been panduro x baenschi, for example.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Crossbreeding within a species-group is possible, but if each fish has multiple partners with which to breed they almost always pick a member of their own species. It there are no choices, well ... 'any port in a storm'. Römer, et al's 2004 original description or A. baenschi has a picture of a baenschiXnijsseni forced cross: ugly and deformed!

mantisfan101

It can take a while for them to come together. What I found worked was separating the male and female for a couple weeks-months and then reintroducing them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….