• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Panduro submission?

mantisfan101

My female A. Panduro has just recently gotten much brighter in terms of coloration and it seems that whenever the male approaches her she raises her fins and flares at him, and she sometimes assumes a head-down posture. He then proceeds to approach her and mouths her side or caudle fin and she doesn’t seem to mind it; rarely does he ever bite her. I’ve also seen him flare at her as well. I’ve seen them swimming together a couple times before but it seems like they’re spending less time together. Are they flirting with each other or does the male not like her? In this species does the male or female or both choose the mate?

CyberCoyote

More experienced folks here than I, my pair's bred once but my Macmasteri engaged in almost the very same behavior, I never saw where she put the eggs, but fry did 'magically' appear not too long after the courting. That the male wasn't chasing her away constantly was the big give away.

mantisfan101

Ok, looks like the male’s chasing and nipping at her fins although she seems to brighten in color/her yellow and black becomes more prominent and she assumes a slight head-down position while floating and flaring. What is this behavior?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Seems that these two aren't meant for each other. Panduros can be choosy about breeding partners. As long as they are hurting each other patience might lead to a breeding partnership.

mantisfan101

Seems that these two aren't meant for each other. Panduros can be choosy about breeding partners. As long as they are hurting each other patience might lead to a breeding partnership.
I was thinking likewise since the female seemed to be flaring back and did a wierd S-shape curl with her body whenever the male tried picking on her. Unfortunately the male started having white and stringy poop so now hems in quarantine. Does anyone know if feeding them mostly blackworms causes white stringy poop or is it likely internal parasites?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Seems I mis-typed "As long as they are hurting each other patience might lead to a breeding partnership." I should have typed: As long as they are not hurting each other patience might lead to a breeding partnership."

Blackworms are one of those problem live foods. They live naturally in waters with a relatively high nutrient/bacterial count. They can carry diseases and paracites, especially those collect in waters that have contact with fish. Those raised artificially are much safer. That being said, worms of any kind contain a high fat content that can lead to obesity and a fatty liver, which can shorten their life span. IMHO worms are best used for conditioning fish for spawning and not an everyday type of food. I would consider them a once-a-week treat, but nothing more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….