• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Idenification update

Tom C

5 Year Member
Has D37 been given a species name yet ?
No, it has not been scientifically described yet. But we have got this beautiful article about them:
A Colombian Beauty – Apistogramma sp. ‘Kiemenfleck/Gill-spot’

As similar specimens as the A. sp. "D37" now has been found in three different locations, I think we all would welcome a DNA analysis of them, showing if they actually are one, two or three different species.

In the meantime we should keep specimens from the three different locations strictly separated.
We use names on them which include their location.
The original one from the Rio Inirida-drainage is labeled (Inirida), the purple one from the Rio Vaupés-drainage is labeled (Vaupés 1),
and the more yellow one from the Rio Vaupés-drainage is labeled (Vaupés 2).
So, as an example, the purple one from the Rio Vaupés-drainage might be labeled Apistogramma sp. "Kiemenfleck/Gill-spot" (Vaupés 1),
or Apistogramma sp. "D37" (Vaupés 1), or A. sp. "D37" (Vaupés 1).
Isn't Apistogramma-names fun? :)

Tom C

5 Year Member
I really dislike D (and A) numbers, so undescriptive......
It would have been a dull world if we all liked the same thing! I like the D-numbers ( I invented them :) ).

It would be difficult to find good names for all of the D1 to D56 which described unique traits or patterns; Not all species/forms have a unique gill spot! And it is important not to use preliminary names that reveal the collection site, as ruthless people would happily collect as many of each of these species as possible, to sell them, and thereby perhaps reducing the number of specimens of some species below the limit of what is sustainable.

To me, each one of the D-numbers represents an exciting new discovery, of a new form or a new species!

BOB MAJOR

5 Year Member
Thanks for comments.Looks like I have Vaupes 1.Whatever happened to labeling unknown species. Sp affinis ———-

BOB MAJOR

5 Year Member
Thanks for comments.Looks like I have Vaupes 1.Whatever happened to labeling unknown species. Sp affinis ———-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….