• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu'

Ekona

5 Year Member
Just picked up two pair of this species. From the dealer's description:
"... the Xingu Apistogramma is found in shallow areas of the fast-moving clear water Rio Xingu in Eastern Brazil".

Anyone know about the natural biotope of this population? Is the description above correct information? Is this population a clear-water species?
Thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not sure it is found in "areas of fast moving" water. The description seems to be more for species of Loricarids and a genus like Teleocichla. It is a clearwater population, so that's correct. I suggest treating them like other agassizii-like species: shaded and low current tanks. BTW these are A. cf. agassizii (BBCS) and not A. sp. Blauspeigel, right?

Ekona

5 Year Member
Not sure it is found in "areas of fast moving" water. The description seems to be more for species of Loricarids and a genus like Teleocichla. It is a clearwater population, so that's correct. I suggest treating them like other agassizii-like species: shaded and low current tanks. BTW these are A. cf. agassizii (BBCS) and not A. sp. Blauspeigel, right?
Yes, will treat as for other aggies. And yes, A. cf. agassizii (BBCS). Once they settle in I'll post photos. Thanks.

Ekona

5 Year Member
I was curious if the advertised fish would be Blauspeigel as the importer has a number of WC fishes from the area. No luck in that regard, but an interesting BBCS agassizii-like fish is what I got. This male is small (3-4cm) and is subtly colored with an interesting iridescence in the dorsal and caudal fins - see photos.. Hopefully will grow out to be a nice fish. Females rather small and shy at the moment, got them in separate tanks to grow out on their own.

Attachments

• A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' 2 CI 2019.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' 2 CI 2019.jpg
    882.4 KB · Views: 508
  • A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' 3 CI 2019.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' 3 CI 2019.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 483
  • A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' 4 CI 2019.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' 4 CI 2019.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 463
  • A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' 5 CI 2019.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' 5 CI 2019.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 480
  • A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' CI 2019.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' CI 2019.jpg
    645.7 KB · Views: 497

Ekona

5 Year Member
My fish appears to be fairly close in form to the Xingu river population as pictured a thread from this forum.

It is also very close to the form pictured on Rayon Vert Aqua listed as from Cameta (including the split pelvic fins). However, Cameta is closer to Belem on the Tocantins river, east of the Xingu river by some distance.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Introduced the female to the male's tank today and they started dancing immediately. Sorry for sub-par photos, but best I could do. Interesting metallic pink on male's dorsal fin which I've not seen before on an agassizii.

Attachments

• A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Pair Display 1.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Pair Display 1.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 488
  • A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Pair Display 2.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Pair Display 2.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 427
  • A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Pair Display 4.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Pair Display 4.jpg
    976.6 KB · Views: 417
  • A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Pair Disply 5.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Pair Disply 5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 444
  • A. cf. agassizii Pair Display 3.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii Pair Display 3.jpg
    948.5 KB · Views: 415

Ekona

5 Year Member
Got a few more of these in. Here is the best looking male of all of them. Neat fish! And a definite female which I think is in brood care.

Attachments

• A. agassizii 'Xingu' Alpha Male 3.jpg
    A. agassizii 'Xingu' Alpha Male 3.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 454
  • A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Female Brood 1.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Female Brood 1.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 441
  • A cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Alpha CI 2019.jpg
    A cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Alpha CI 2019.jpg
    893.2 KB · Views: 430

Ekona

5 Year Member
This pair has spawned, judging by the female's behavior. She is guarding a clutch (keeping the male away with frequent tail-waiving), and is in full-on brood care coloration. Note she, similar to A. gephyra, has little to no black pigments in her pelvic fins. Does this coloration characteristic have any significance in terms of classification (ie. cf. agassizii)?

Attachments

• Xingu Pair Display 3.jpg
    Xingu Pair Display 3.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 334
  • Xingu Pair Display 5.jpg
    Xingu Pair Display 5.jpg
    926.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Xingu Pair Display 6.jpg
    Xingu Pair Display 6.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 333
  • Xingu Pair Display 10.jpg
    Xingu Pair Display 10.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 341
  • Xingu Pair Display.jpg
    Xingu Pair Display.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 342

Siggi

Hi, all.
It never stops to amuse me, to see their tiny orange bellies, a few minutes after injecting some brine shrimp into the water..

I wish you the best of luck at raisng the kindergarden.
Cheers!

Ekona

5 Year Member
Fry growing out nicely.

kLakub.jpg

QEvOw1.jpg

Attachments

• A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Female With Fry 14.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Female With Fry 14.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 310
  • A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Pair-Brood.jpg
    A. cf. agassizii 'Xingu' Pair-Brood.jpg
    818.7 KB · Views: 327

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….