• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to tell if Cacatuoides paired up

mantisfan101

I have 2 males and 1 female A. Cacatuoides in a 20 gal and it seems that the female “temporarily” pairs up with the smaller male but he still ends up chasing her around. The ither male is much larger and clearly staked out his territory in a small cave. Whenever the other 2 approach his hide he always oushes them away. I believe the female is ready to breed or ar least pair up due to her prominent coloration but how do I tell if they pair up? Should I try removing either one of the males or females for a while?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Females decide with which male they will spawn. When she is ready to breed she will display to her preferred male. Courtship displays rarely last more than 15 minutes prior to spawning. If both males drive her away, then they know she is not ready to breed and will drive her out of their territory in hopes that a receptive female will swim by.

You really don't provide enough information to say more. Questions I have:
Does each fish have a territory of its own that it controls?
Is this tank a 20 gal long or high
How is the tank decorated?

mantisfan101

Whoops, sorry about that. There’s tons of leaf litter for them to hide in. 20 gal long but I and they have all staked out necessary territoy although thr larger male seems to have a signifcantly latger one compred to the others(like 50% of the tank).

mantisfan101

Also, I heard that draining the tank’s water to a couple inches then refilling it all after a day or so helps stimulate breeding; could I try this?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think patience is what you need. If water quality, maintenance, nutrition and lay-out are right they should reproduce. The only other thing I might do is remove the male in which she appear less interested. The extra male might be a distraction.

Fish Folk

New A. cacatuoides keeper here. I wondered whether my pair would spawn as well -- I even feared we had a "sneaker male." The male did show for the female, but she seemed uninterested. After waiting a month or so, I did do a water change and the female immediately changed colors -- see photo before (female has marked lateral line) and afterward (female is yellow, with lateral line gone). She began harassing him to spawn! They did the deed within about 12 hrs. They are the only pair in our 20 long. We did give them time beforehand to bond as Mike recommends too . . .
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 2.01.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 2.02.15 PM.png

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
... After waiting a month or so, I did do a water change ...

I hope you are actually doing regular water changes more often than once every month. I consider myself a 'lazy aquarist', but I do at least a 25% water change with gravel cleaning every 2 weeks - including tanks with only 1 fish.

Fish Folk

Yes! We change water weekly, or bi-weekly. We have had the pair for about a month. Then, it was after a particular regular water change that they got friendly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….