• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings from a newbie

Twisted1

Hey everyone! I'm new to owning Apistogramma fish. I purchased 2 from my lfs 2 weeks ago. At the time I was looking for a Borellii but then I saw these two. They were very interactive with me while I was looking at them. They had them listed on their tanks as Cacatuoides. Picked them up and when I got home I looked it up and I don't think they had labelled it correctly. I went in today and inquired about it as they had one that definitely was a cacatuoides. I was told to use Google and look at pictures to attempt to identify them. Either way I love these guys but I would like to identify them if possible. I didn't realize how many variations there are with so many similarities. Any help would be appreciated.
20190525_194504.jpg
20190525_192120.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, but the photos are good enough for a positive ID. My guess is that the are both females. The top one is most likely A. agassizii, but the bottom one?? I can't say with any confidence.

Twisted1

Thanks. I was having a horrible time trying to get pictures. They only stay still until I am ready to take the photo. If I can get better shots I'll post them but I think that you have put me on the right track.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….