• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cacatuoides: do I have a pair? or two males?

Fish Folk

We've been enjoying a couple of Apistogramma cacatuoides, pictured here, for a month or so now. They are in a 20 gallon long tank along with a few silver-tip tetras and ghost shrimp. The big male is beautiful! But we are wondering about the other one. Is this a female? Or a non-dominant, "sneaker-male"? There is a touch of orange on the caudal fin (possible male?), but the ventral / pelvic fins are black (commonly female). The clear, dominant male does display, and gives a bit of chase now and then -- though nothing terribly aggressive. What are your thoughts?
IMG_4524.JPG
IMG_4528.JPG
IMG_4532.JPG
IMG_4547.JPG
IMG_4558.JPG
IMG_4569.JPG
IMG_4572.JPG

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
With the normal disclaimer that I'm rubbish at this, definitely a male and female.

cheers Darrel

Tappy4me

Here's my male and female for comparison. I also thought my female may have been a sneaker Male! Saw them flirting this morning though, so pretty sure shes a female lol

Attachments

• 20190503_144549.jpg
    20190503_144549.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 460
  • 20190522_201449.jpg
    20190522_201449.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 499

Fish Folk

Gotcha! We put in a cave for our cacatuoides, but straight way our b-nose pleco called shotgun and moved in...

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
That's a pair. Yellow body color, marks on the abdomen, black on the front of the ventral fins and caudal fin, and smaller overall size.

Fish Folk

Thanks! Yes, I think we've got a pair. They were getting "friendly" today. Saw the female in the cave with the male nearby (see pic)
A. cacatuoides, cave.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….