• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male or female cacatuoides?

Tappy4me

Hello! New to apistos. Have this fish in a separate tank temporarily trying to figure out gender. It and my Male were posturing alot and tail slapping. So far has been on it's own for about 5 days now and hasn't colored up anymore. My Male is very obvious. Just wanted to get some other opinions before I set up a different tank! Thanks! :)

Attachments

• 20190429_183853.jpg
    20190429_183853.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 370
  • 20190429_182348.jpg
    20190429_182348.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 371

Tappy4me

Still trying to confirm gender on this one....not sure if a true female or a sneaker male...

Attachments

• 20190516_200052.jpg
    20190516_200052.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 325

Tappy4me

Yes. The first photo is the fish in question. 2nd was my Male for comparison. 3rd new photo is an updated photo of the fish in question, taken yesterday.

Was told by several other apisto keepers it was likely a young Male, so trying to determine gender:)

Tappy4me

I've been told that based on pointiness in dorsal and anal fins, it appears to be a young male. "The tips should be blunt... rounded on a female, especially a younger one.", by another apisto keeper, however she was not 100% sure. The breeder said it looks very similar to his breeding female. I've seen them both posturing at each other, but no really aggressive behavior. They were purchased as a young pair, so they still have time to mature.

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Females of the domestic double and triple red strain often have some male coloring and extensions in the fins. However, the third picture above is clearly a female with the yellow body and the black ventral fins. In fact, I'd say she's anxious to spawn.

Tappy4me

Females of the domestic double and triple red strain often have some male coloring and extensions in the fins. However, the third picture above is clearly a female with the yellow body and the black ventral fins. In fact, I'd say she's anxious to spawn.
Oh really? Glad to hear that as a confirmation. I'm hoping they will breed at some point! She hasn't shown any signs of flirting with the Male yet,despite his best endeavors lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….