• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spawning while rearing?

Triviashi_Maru

I have a young pair of cacatuoides with 3 week old fry that they have been tending quite well.
The pair has started flirting again and I'm concerned if they may become aggressive with the fry should they spawn again before I can set up a grow out tank to move them to.
Is tbis a legit concern or am I just worrying because I really want this bunch to succeed.

Photo links:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvx31Waltgr/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1f6fj7prznly8
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwNEj7nHHBx/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1oe9vm20zcmac

Triviashi_Maru

Thank you, Mike. It took all morning, because planted tank with coarse gravel (holy isht, those suckers can hide) but I moved (~40) fry to a bare 20 gallon so they can have room to grow. I really would have liked to wait, but the bio-load was already taxing the little filter on the other tank beyond it's capabilities. I was changing 50% twice a day, and I figured it was this or lose them to bad water anyhow.
The parents look rather pissed at me, but they'll recover. At worst I maybe lost 1 that I know of and whoever got squished between gravel and washed away when I (thoroughly, it needed it) cleaned out the spawning tank.
For the future, I'm gonna try to keep spawning pairs in bare bottom setups. Whew!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It took all morning, because planted tank with coarse gravel ......... For the future, I'm gonna try to keep spawning pairs in bare bottom setups. Whew!
You are best using sand as your substrate in both tanks. It makes maintaining water quality less problematic and it allows the fish to carry out their normal sand sifting behaviour. Have a look at @Tom C's comments in <"Need to know...">.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….