• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizi 'Alequer' pair

Tindomul

Hi,

I acquired this pair from the Wet Spot a few months ago. At first I could not keep them in the same tank together. The female was beating up on the male relentlessly. So he spent about 3 weeks in his own tank. I tried re-uniting them and it was the same deal again. She was really able to chase him around. So I moved him back to his own tank for another two weeks. Then about 4 days ago I re-introduced him to the tank with a separator to keep her away from him. Over the weekend he figured out how to get through because he was really interested in her. Yesterday I observed lots of mating behavior, and today I actually caught the male and female together in a flower pot I placed in the tank laying their first egg.

Just wanted to share and ask, when should re-install the separator?

Thanks.

César

Attachments

• CAC_1797_00002.jpg
    CAC_1797_00002.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 297
  • CAC_1835_00005.jpg
    CAC_1835_00005.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 278
  • CAC_1785_00020.jpg
    CAC_1785_00020.jpg
    9.6 MB · Views: 304
  • CAC_1799_00019.jpg
    CAC_1799_00019.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 281
  • CAC_1812_00017.jpg
    CAC_1812_00017.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 267
  • CAC_1827_00010.jpg
    CAC_1827_00010.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 272
  • CAC_1831_00008.jpg
    CAC_1831_00008.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 259

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's hard to say whether or not to remove the male. It really depends on tank size, aquascaping, aggressiveness of each fish. I guess, when in doubt take him out. The problem is that the commotion caused by catching the male might cause the female to eat her spawn.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Congrats on the spawn! I've always had the fortune of females that either work well with their male counterpart or are in a tank large enough to support some aggression, so I cannot comment on when to pull the male. If you are worried about either the male's or female's health, pull him. Otherwise, watch and see.

My A. uaupesi spawned a few weeks ago and while females are supposed to be very aggressive to their males, the pair were fighting off dithers of Cardinals, Tucanos, and Curimatopsis and showing the spawn around the tank. They were working together even though they do spend a good amount of time fighting with each other.

Tindomul

Hi,

Thanks all. I observed the next day after this post I observed that the male was hiding inside one of the plant pots. The female was guarding her eggs inside an overturned empty plant pot. So I decided to re-install the separator. Afterwards I saw the male was still in one piece but it took him several hours to feel relaxed enough to come out of that pot. This morning she is still guarding those eggs. I would say over 30 eggs at least, attached to the "ceiling" of that plant pot.

Mike Wise,

Thank you for the tib-bit about the female getting nervous enough to eat the fry. Two months ago I had successfully bred A. agassizi 'Fire Red' and the female was doing a great job taking care of the fry for a few weeks. Then I noticed fewer fry after every time I did a water change. Finally I had only 1 left and put it in a breeding cage in the same tank. I still have it and is half the size of an adult female now. I couldn't figure out why the fry were disappearing.

Steve Rich

Hi,

Thanks all. I observed the next day after this post I observed that the male was hiding inside one of the plant pots. The female was guarding her eggs inside an overturned empty plant pot. So I decided to re-install the separator. Afterwards I saw the male was still in one piece but it took him several hours to feel relaxed enough to come out of that pot. This morning she is still guarding those eggs. I would say over 30 eggs at least, attached to the "ceiling" of that plant pot.

Mike Wise,

Thank you for the tib-bit about the female getting nervous enough to eat the fry. Two months ago I had successfully bred A. agassizi 'Fire Red' and the female was doing a great job taking care of the fry for a few weeks. Then I noticed fewer fry after every time I did a water change. Finally I had only 1 left and put it in a breeding cage in the same tank. I still have it and is half the size of an adult female now. I couldn't figure out why the fry were disappearing.

Yea parental fish mentality is often "if danger is coming that threatens my eggs, I might as well eat them myself and get the nutrition back as oppose to something else eating them". So you have to make sure they feel safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….