• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizii FR spawn...quick question please...

Ade205

Hi all.

Finally got a small spawn from my fire Red Agies. Hoping eggs are viable, I've heard this strain can be prone to infertility issues.
Anyway, I've bred Agassizii before and had issues with female to male ratio, way to many males. Just wondering what has been successful for people regarding a good m/f ratio and what water parameters the fry where raised in? I'm looking ideally for 2 female for every 1 male. My tank is at 25.5c, just over 6ph, tds 50ppm.

Thanks, Ade.

Last edited:

Ade205

Thanks for reply Frank.

I had seen and read the discussion in your link, and although useful and interesting, did not contain info I'm after. I'm looking for some exact water parameters from people who've successfully reared a good m/f ratio of Agassizii fry. I keep getting males only! I've bred Cacatuoides, Panduro, borellii with pretty even ratios at 25c, and currently growing out Elizabethae fry that look to be showing a good mix of both sexes, although they are a little small to be totally sure, yet Agassizii I can't get females despite following what's worked with other species, especially regarding temperature!
Spawn in opening post from my fire Red pair failed, but they are very young and still small pair, so hopefully success will follow, then we'll see what ratio I get this time around!!

Thanks for you response.

Ade.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Although temperature appears to be the primary determinant to sex ratio, water values also affect it. For most apistos, spawning in more acidic water tends to produce more males. How low it needs to be for even ratios of males and females depends on the species (combined with water values - pH, GH, temperature, etc.).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….