• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is this a male and a female GBR?

Neil Nayyar.

I recently purchased these at my LFS as a pair. I just want to make sure that they are a male and a female. I am new to keeping them and don't know how to sex them.
IMG_5248.JPG
IMG_5246.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5247.JPG
    IMG_5247.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 552
  • IMG_5246.JPG
    IMG_5246.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 632

Ade205

Fish in top picture I'm fairly certainly female, she is close to spawning as her breeding tube or papilla, is showing. The second fish I'm not as sure.... do you have better pictures, preferably with fins erect, and in the flesh does this fish's belly look pink?
Also, how big are these fish? Is the bottom pictured fish noticeably bigger than the top pictured fish?

Usual methods to tell a female are normally pink belly, more rounded and shorter ventral fins, rounder more plump torso, possible more rounded caudal. More blue spots in the black blotch on flank are also regularly sited but I've seen and reared many females that do not show this trait.
Males have a more flat torso, no pink on belly, nearly always significantly bigger at same age, longer more pointed ventral fins, significant elongation in first 2 dorsal rays on older fish.

Usual best method is simply the pink belly of the female.... this is a pair of mine spawning, the differences are very visible in body shape, fin shapes, and pink belly, though this is exaggerated when in spawning colours

Ade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….