• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best tank size/set-up for breeding apistos without violence

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
I know that many of you have success breeding apistos in 10g tanks, but I've had absolutely terrible luck with mine so far. My brand new pair of tri's isn't anymore because the male bullied the female to death, and my female rositae's did the same to my male awhile back, even after swapping females. I'm so upset over it that I can't even see straight.

What's the best way to mitigate violence? I feel like I have plenty of sight breaks in the tank and hiding spots but it's almost like it's not enough. Any advice? Because I could really use some.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My rule of thumb is a square foot of bottom for each apisto, but it's only relative. Breeding tank size varies depending on the apisto species. For example, A. wapisana - a very mellow and small (1½"/3.5cm TL) species - will safely breed in a 5 gallon tank, while I wouldn't breed A. atahualpa - a large, aggressive species - in anything less than a 30 gallon long tank. Tank size is not the only factor. Your experience with pairs only of A. trifasciata and A. rositae are typical for these species. A. trifasciata, although small, is highly polygamous and a male needs at least 2 if not more females to curb his aggressive breeding desires. A. rositae is a nijsseni-group species that is fairly aggressive and tends to form breeding (but not mated) pairs. If for some reason they aren't compatible they will go their separate ways and look for another partner. If the less dominant fish cannot leave the area of the more dominant fish it will be driven out by attacks of the dominant fish. If it can't leave, then it is often killed. My suggestion is to 'know your fish'. Learn about them before you get them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….