• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Apistogramma Cacatuoides Female?

Katsutaro Yoshimoto

I'm just wondering if you guys think this is a sneaker female or a real female. I've had her/him for about 2 weeks now with a male of the same species, eating normally. She hasn't layed any eggs yet but seems to be showing some yellow colors. Thanks guys!
20190221_225052.jpg
20190221_225205.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Nice tank. Magnolia grandiflora leaves?

With the disclaimer that I have a very poor record at both sexing and ID, she is definitely A. cacatuoides, and I'm pretty sure a female. If you look at the leading edge of the ventral fins, and it is a solid black? She is almost certainly a female.

cheers Darrel

Katsutaro Yoshimoto

Hi all,
Nice tank. Magnolia grandiflora leaves?

With the disclaimer that I have a very poor record at both sexing and ID, she is definitely A. cacatuoides, and I'm pretty sure a female. If you look at the leading edge of the ventral fins, and it is a solid black? She is almost certainly a female.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for the response! The leading edge of the ventral fin is definetly solid black. Those leaves are mini cattapa leaves that I got from Amazon, I have them mixed with small cut pieces of the larger almond leaves, but I like the look of the smaller ones the most.
Here is the male btw. Stunner if I say so myself.
20190222_115305.jpg
20190222_115433.jpg

Don R

I'm sitting in the same spot. Reading this however is making me feel like the second one I have is a female. The thing that's worrying me is how much pattern appears in her (for the time being) caudal fin.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Female A. cacatuoides can look almost identical to males, especially when older. The amount of color can be used as an indication, but isn't a reliable feature to judge from. Rather, use a composite of features: color, length of fins, amount of black in the ventral fins, yellow body color, and dorsal ray extensions. The first picture in the thread is certainly a female, and I have seen plenty of females with extended dorsal fins and tons of color in the dorsal/caudal.

Don R

Female A. cacatuoides can look almost identical to males, especially when older. The amount of color can be used as an indication, but isn't a reliable feature to judge from. Rather, use a composite of features: color, length of fins, amount of black in the ventral fins, yellow body color, and dorsal ray extensions. The first picture in the thread is certainly a female, and I have seen plenty of females with extended dorsal fins and tons of color in the dorsal/caudal.
Good to know. which means the photo I posted on my own thread has a good chance of being a female.

Don R

Good to know. which means the photo I posted on my own thread has a good chance of being a female.

Katsutaro Yoshimoto

Should I be feeding her more often now or the same as before? I've been feeding her home cultured california blackworms/dero worms/cyclops, frozen baby brine, and Hikari micro pellets. She won't eat flake or freeze dried bloodworms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….