• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Multiple male Apisto spp. community tank opinions?

Tool13x

I have a 40g breeder I would like to turn into a South American community tank. I currently have a male some Otocinclus catfish and perhaps some Corydoras. My original plan was to also have a harem of female A. cacatuoides in the tank but they are very difficult to find locally. I have been looking for at least 6 months.
Another idea I have been exploring is to have that community tank but with a few male Apistogramma spp. instead of adding females into the mix. in this scenario I would also set up a separate 30gal breeder with a single or multiple females that I can introduce a male for spawning if I ever want to breed them.
I have been browsing the forums and been seeing a bit of mixed info regarding keeping multiple male Apistogramma in a tank whether from the same or different species. Opinions on this matter? I have found A. pandurini, A. agassizi, and A. macmasteri males locally. Would I be able to keep any of these with my male A. cacatuoides? I was thinking the footprint of the 40 breeder might be large enough to give these guys some individual territories and perhaps there wouldnt be as much aggression without females in the mix. Let me know what you think.

Jim T

I have a 50 gal. “breeder” planted tank and have kept male and female Nisjenni, Agassizi as well as different Rams together (along with some dither Tetras). I think an important factor is having plenty hiding/territory areas. My tank is full of plants, dragon stone and spider wood.
I know this mixing is not really recommended, but IMO it is possible.

Tahir

I'm attempting my first Apisto tank, a 15 gallon one, where I intend to home 4 Agassizi - 2 are double red and the other 2 golden. I'm not sure how that would turn out. Trying my best to give it a dense vegetation and plenty of wood and rocks with as much natural cave formations as possible.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My general 'rule of thumb' is 1 apisto for each square foot of tank bottom. IMHO 4 is too many - especially if all are the same species and different sexes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….